Post Date: 10/25/2019
Close Date: 11/10/2019
The Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development (DLCD) is currently seeking a highly-qualified candidate to be our next full-time permanent Deputy Director (Principal Executive/Manager F).
What would you be doing?
You would assist in the oversight of all operations by developing strategic direction in concert with the DLCD Director for the land use planning programs. You will utilize your knowledge of land use laws and regulations with local governments, and state and federal agencies, to address the land use needs of the public, communities, regions, and the state. By directing the day to day department operations, and you will help troubleshoot workforce challenges as they arise. You will identify trends and challenges facing the department as well as engage in public policy discussions to help develop the most effective strategies. By directing research and analysis of existing systems, you will lead collaborative decision-making strategies to build positive outcomes. You will tirelessly lead, foster, and promote a diverse and inclusive work environment where all can come to work and thrive.
Closing Date: Sunday, November 10, 2019, at 11:59 pm
Time Type: Full-time
Location: Salem, OR
Job Type: Permanent
Representation: Executive Service - Supervisory
Salary: $6,554 - $9,666 Monthly
• Ability to think strategically to formulate and implement critical priorities that align with the DLCDs' mission and Governors priorities.
• Experience leading by example and foster a culture of accountability to create and deliver measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results.
• A seasoned professional with excellent decision-making skills that seek to understand the impacts of decision making and commits to action to accomplish organizational goals.
• Strong background in collaboration and a history of prioritizing relationships.
• Skilled at managing the balance between executing short term goals and strategies while developing a long term vision for programs, goals, and priorities for DLCD.
• An established leader with experience working with a diverse set of backgrounds and adapting leadership style to the current work environment.
• Experience interpreting and implementing local and state land use regulations and programs in Oregon.
• Six years of management experience, including responsibility for each of the following:
• Development of program rules and policies;
• Development of long- and short-range goals and plans;
• Program evaluation;
• Budget preparation.
This position exists within the Director’s Office, which provides direction to the staff of the Agency and serves as the communication, decision-making, policy-making link with the legislature, the Land Conservation and Development Commission (LCDC), the Legislature and the Governor Office. The position serves as the primary listening post for local jurisdictions, interest groups, and the public. The program is responsible for Department-wide work program development and communication. The Director’s Office makes decisions that affect other state agencies, the planning functions of the city, county and other special district governments, professional land-use interests, and the citizens of Oregon.
DLCD is charged with helping communities and citizens plan for, protect, and improve the built and natural systems that provide a high quality of life for all Oregonians. In partnership with citizens and local governments, we foster sustainable and vibrant communities and protect our natural resources legacy. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/LCD to learn more about the exciting and rewarding work we do!
If you are interested, and you are current Oregon state employee, please apply on the internal jobs page. If you are an external applicant, please visit the Oregon job opportunities page.
If you are not interested, please consider helping us recruit top talent by sharing this opportunity with potential applicants and interested networks.