Post Date: 01/15/2019
Close Date: 02/28/2019
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East
Position: Salvage Services Supervisor - Portland Metro ReStores
Reports to: Salvage Service Manager
Position Type: Full time, Hourly
Compensation: $14 - $16/hr. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes full benefits package: medical, dental, vision and alternative care coverage; vacation and sick leave; holidays; flexible spending accounts; short term disability coverage; employee assistance plan; and matching retirement plan
Are you interested in reuse? Committed to keeping good stuff out of our landfills? Ready to do meaningful work that directly supports affordable housing in the Portland Metro Area? Do something you can believe in, make a difference in the world and get paid for it too: Join our Habitat ReStore team!
ReStores accept donated building materials, furniture and appliances and sells them to the public at a fraction of retail prices to raise funds for Habitat for Humanity’s local home building projects.
The Salvage Service Supervisor is responsible for leadership and on-site management of the Salvage Service Program, including hands-on deconstruction, gathering and transporting salvageable materials for resale at Habitat for Humanity ReStores. Salvage Services provides a cost effective means of residential non-structural deconstruction for our clients. Daily tasks include project evaluation and oversight, customer service, documentation, and handling and management of large, heavy materials such as cabinet sets, lumber, doors, windows and lighting. Salvage Services regularly removes kitchens (cabinets and appliances) as a main staple of work, though we salvage many other building materials from residences that are slated for demolition, for example.
Salvage Service Supervisors are expected to perform all tasks safely, efficiently, and professionally, and to use polite and respectful communication with staff, volunteers and clientele.
● Provide professional, personable and efficient customer service
● Communicate effectively and efficiently with staff and clientele via phone, text, email and in person
● Safe removal and recovery of saleable materials from project sites
● Ensure safe and proper care and use of all tools
● Wear and use personal protective equipment as required
● Safely operate a box truck, including safe loading and securing of materials
● Manage field staff and volunteers, provide a safe, positive and productive work environment
● Maintain a clean, organized workplace, including organization of truck, tools and safety equipment
● Manage time efficiently and effectively
● Cooperate with ReStore staff to record, account for, value and track salvaged goods
● Collect and record monetary fees and donations, and produce electronic or hard form paperwork required
● Assist at the ReStores or warehouse in other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Valid driver's license and reliable transportation
● Experience and skill at driving and loading large box trucks
● Knowledge of or willingness to learn deconstruction techniques
● Ability to use and learn computer software packages
● Leadership, customer service, time management skills and safe, professional jobsite etiquette
● Two years construction, remodeling or laborer experience
● One year experience driving and loading large box trucks
● One year experience supervising staff
● Previous safety management, including but not limited to lead paint and asbestos awareness training
Work Environment/Physical Demands
This job operates in varied environments including outdoors, in our retail stores, and in private homes. This position is physically demanding, and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing. The employee must be able to move and/or load items over 50 pounds with mechanical assistance or a team lift.
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Application packets must include:
• A complete resume, including dates of employment
• A cover letter identifying how you heard of this opportunity and addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position
• Three references: at least two professional
To apply, submit the above information to email@example.com with ‘Salvage Service Supervisor’ in the subject line. Position is considered open until filled. Application packets will be evaluated as received, early submission encouraged.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Complete details: https://www.pdxrestore.org/jobs/salvage-services-supervisor