Post Date: 04/18/2019
Close Date: 05/17/2019
Basic Function / Position Objective:
The Bi-lingual Education Program Coordinator will work with Friends, youth, families, and schools to identify issues that may present barriers to school success for Spanish Speaking families. They will help families to gain the understanding, tools, and resources to address the barriers. The position will build and facilitate programming and processes to support school attendance, engage and empower families, provide a link to resources, and help advocate for better meeting academic needs of program youth. This position will also provide administrative support to the Program Team including meeting agendas and minutes, scheduling events, meetings and activities and managing communication around educational initiatives (e.g. scholarships and post-secondary opportunities).
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Empower families to solve issues that are getting in the way of academic success with emphasis on Spanish-Speaking families.
• Work in collaboration with Friends, youth, and families to identify root causes of attendance issues and work creatively to build strategies to address those issues.
• Build network of resources that will serve as referrals for families.
• Identify and work with partners to provide ongoing education to parents about how they can best support their children in education.
• Take part in advocating for appropriate educational supports to meet youth’s needs through attending IEP meetings, working with school systems, and helping youth get into the best school setting.
• Conduct home and site visits to build relationships with youth and families to work in partnership on addressing issues impacting education.
• Apply best practices in attendance and behavior support, and educational advocacy.
• Evaluate program effectiveness and make improvements accordingly.
• Schedule meetings and activities for the Program Directors.
• Track agendas and distribute and take minutes for meetings related to education programming.
• Manage communication and follow up for educational initiatives and opportunities.
• Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Skills and Knowledge Required:
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with under served and low-income communities.
• Bi-lingual in English and Spanish.
• 2 years’ experience working in social service, education, or related field.
• Ability to navigate bureaucracies and build allies.
• Proven ability in program development.
• Strong communication and relationship building skills.
• Familiarity with resources in the community, or proven ability to research and network.
• Independent work ethic and a flexible mindset in navigating a diverse workload
• Resilient and persistent in the face of set-backs.
• Proven commitment to equity.
Starting Salary $35,000 (This position is non-exempt position)
If interested please apply via the link provided!