Post Date: 07/31/2019
Close Date: 08/26/2019
University Mission: Concordia University is a Christian university preparing leaders for the transformation of society.
Position Title: Human Resources Specialist
Department: Human Resources
Reports To: Vice President, Human Resources & Equity (BS0001)
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Position Number: BS0033
Salary Grade: Grade 4; Hiring range $45,000 to $49,000 annually
Primary Work Location: Portland Main Campus, onsite
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday; 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Employee Classification: 05 – Fulltime, Staff, Non-Exempt
EEO Classification: 13-1071
Last Updated: July 2019
This role is responsible for supporting operations and initiatives associated with the hiring, onboarding, and pay administration processes for adjunct faculty at Concordia University, Portland. This role serves five colleges and adjuncts who work remotely from all states across the US.
Concordia University is a private, Christian university. Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based on religion in order to further the Lutheran objectives of the University and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Implement adjunct faculty hiring, offer, onboarding, and separation processes in a timely and accurate manner, including but not limited to (40%):
• Posting open positions on CU’s internal website and on a variety of external candidate recruitment websites
• Monitoring applicant flow through onboarding
• Issuing offer letters through the applicant tracking system
• Consulting with hiring managers to educate them about hiring practices and mentor them through hiring processes
• Initiating and implementing onboarding procedures for new hires
• Performing data entry to create new employee profiles in the University’s HRIS system
• Submitting correct employee information to Payroll and IT for adjunct hires and departures
• Enforcing hiring policies in accordance with University guidelines and State and Federal law.
2. Support and administer Faculty Load and Compensation (FLAC) processes, under the direction of the VP for Human Resources, in order to ensure timely and accurate faculty teaching assignments. Response to inquiries from adjunct faculty via email and telephone, escalating issues as appropriate to quickly address and resolve pay related concerns. 40%
3. Rotate monitoring, triage, and response to inquiries received via the HR email and the main HR line. Support in-office reception of visitors to the HR department. 5%
3. Develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with HR team members, cross departmental peers and hiring managers. Seek cross training opportunities as appropriate and continuously strive to understand and fulfill stakeholder’s needs while successfully accomplishing your own objectives and goals. 5%
6. Participate in role specific professional development opportunities and continuously acquire knowledge and expertise in the field of recruitment, staffing and pay administration. 5%
7. Perform other duties as assigned. 5%
Work Contacts: Direct manage, hiring managers, prospective employees, current employees, HR teammates and cross department peers and colleagues.
Scope of Work
Serve as a subject matter expert in assigned areas to peers and customers. Ensure effective and efficient workflow and adherence to quality and compliance standards. Independently researches materials, information and data for administrative action. Supports the execution of strategic and operations plans/initiatives. Contributes ideas and expertise to department leadership on operational plans for the department/program
Working Conditions: Office environment with minimal noise exposure.
Minimum Physical Requirements
• Able to tolerate prolonged sitting, exposure to computer terminal and computer use.
• Able to tolerate highly repetitive keyboarding.
• Able to bend, reach, grasp, lift and carry within an office environment.
• Able to create and review documents for language comprehensive and readability.
• Able to engage in effective two-way conversation in person, via telephone and via electronic communications.
• Able to maintain regular and consistent attendance at the onsite work location.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• BA or BS in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field
• 3+ years of progressively responsible administrative support experience or specialized experience performing related job tasks.
• Proficient in the use of enterprise database systems for high volume data entry (Banner preferred).
• Proficient in the use of web based application tracking systems for the purpose of recruitment management.
Minimum Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
• Understanding and ability to apply the human resource topics of recruiting, applicant screening, hiring, offer generation, equal opportunity employment, and pay administration to daily work practices.
• Able to listen to business customers and understand specific candidate qualifications required to meet a wide variety of academic skill needs.
• Eager to meet and get to know new people, convey the positive attributes of Concordia University in an enthusiastic manner and present oneself in a confident and welcoming manner.
• Able to work collaboratively with partners within the human resources department, as well as with cross functional partners in order to meet university staffing and onboarding needs. Flexible, congenial and adaptable.
• Able to demonstrate outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
• Highly organized, detailed oriented and able to work efficiently in a complex, high-volume working environment.
• Ability to effectively use and configure Applicant Tracking software to process requisitions, generate offers of employment, and initiate new hire onboarding.
• Able to perform high volume data entry in an accurate and timely manner. Able to adeptly navigate in relational databases in order to enter, read, and interpret information.
• Proficient in Microsoft Windows and Office, familiar with and able to use computers, and able to learn new software.
• Self-motivated and self-directed.
• Results-oriented. Able to prioritize work in order to meet deadlines.
• Able to handle confidential information with good judgement, tact and discretion.
Post offer, Pre-Employment Screening Requirements
Successfully pass a criminal background check
Attitude and demeanor of all Concordia University employees: As part of a work environment that highly values Christian education, educational excellence and service to students, all members of the community will:
• Publicly support the mission of Concordia University.
• Communicate effectively with warmth, sensitivity, and understanding as s/he deals with administrative colleagues, teachers, students, parents, faculty, college personnel and program associates.
• Work as a team member in a professional environment.
• Possess a “service attitude” (willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of the department).
• Have a professional physical appearance (appropriate clothing, personal hygiene, etc.).
Complete details: http://bit.ly/Specialist_HR