Post Date: 07/26/2018
Close Date: 12/31/2018
Technical Support Assistant (2 openings)
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09453
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Classified; Salary Level 16, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Starting Salary Range: The first two steps of the range are: $2,873 to $2,959 per month. Higher salary placement may be available based on qualifications, experience and internal equity.
Job Close Date: 'Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received'
Under direction of Management, provides computer support to end users across the College District for routine computer hardware, software, other technology equipment, and business related applications. Troubleshoots and diagnoses basic problems related to computer/information technology. Escalates complex issues to ensure timely resolution. Trains staff on various computer platforms and related components and software. Directs and reviews the work of student workers and casual employees. Performs routine work with minimal supervision.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
- 8 hours of Sick Leave per month
- 24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
- 11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides technical telephone support for internal end users on routine hardware and software problems including operating system support, application support, system access problems and database support.
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses basic problems with computer equipment. Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment, as necessary. Refers problems to lead worker or management if unable to resolve.
- Provides technical support to students in-person, via email, chat and/or phone regarding various computer related issues and problems.
- Helps identify and troubleshoot PCC account and access related issues, including password changes, identity verification and support for alternate access.
- Inputs data in Help Desk tracking system and assists with maintenance.
- Assists college staff, faculty and/or students with the basic operation of legacy and newer application software, including but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and communication software, web applications, anti-virus and college business application on varied platforms and operating systems.
- Develops and maintains helpdesk websites & CD based tools for staff/faculty as assigned.
- Keeps current with rapidly changing technologies, computer utilities and tools.
- Attends and participates in campus-wide and departmental meetings and committees to discuss computer-related issues, as assigned.
- Contributes to departmental projects as assigned.
- Performs duties in compliance with College policy and applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Creates technical and procedural documentation for use by student workers and/or casual employees.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements (Note-experience requirements use full-time equivalent):
High school diploma or equivalent.
Must also possess two years of training in computer technology either through direct experience working with the technology or by completing courses designed to provide troubleshooting skills and use of MS Office applications.
Work experience includes knowledge of some or all of the following systems: Automated systems, personal computer and network technologies, databases, learning management systems, online learning tools, printers and peripherals (PDA's, scanners, modems, CD/DVD drives, etc.), a variety of software applications (e.g., word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail, Intranet, web browsers, HTML editors, and image manipulation software).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Computers and related software, and/or tablets and mobile devices; and common internet protocols such as email, chat, secure file transfer (SFTP/FTP), and World Wide Web/HTTP;
- Customer services principles.
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Explaining terms, concepts and technology in plain language;
- Maintaining goodwill, cooperation, and productive relationships for those customers suffering anxiety and frustration with technical issues;
- Remaining calm under high pressure/difficult situations.
- Troubleshoot browser and plug-in based problems on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux-based operating systems;
- Troubleshoot, diagnose and repair computer, hardware and software problems in a complex networked environment;
- Plan, organize and document complex network activities and configure systems for consistency with institutional policies and procedures;
- Effectively prioritizes work requests and work occasional long hours;
- Modify, edit and create common document formats (e.g. HTML, CSS, word processing, spreadsheet);
- Convey technical information to a diverse population of students, staff and public;
- Learn, understand and apply applicable College policy and federal, state and local rules/regulations;
- Provide assistance and problem solve a variety of basic computer related issues; enforce policies and procedures and maintain a positive customer service environment.
- Keep accurate records and maintain confidentiality.
- Learn new software and effectively communicate verbally and in writing;
- Interact professionally with distraught or reactive individuals;
- Multi-task and effectively use time management skills.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
1. 1 year work experience with providing technical support by phone
2. 1 year work experience supporting Google Suite for Education
3. 1 year work experience in higher education
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Completed online application
2. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
3. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1264752
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1264752