Post Date: 07/03/2019
Close Date: 07/19/2019
POSITION TITLE: CLASSROOM AIDE FLOATER DEPARTMENT: HEAD START
OPEN DATE: MAY 29, 2019 REPORTS TO: PROGRAM AREA SUPERVISOR
CLOSE DATE: JULY 19, 2019 WORK LOCATION: WASHINGTON COUNTY, OR
HIRING RANGE:* $13.00-14.30 HOURLY FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
POSITION STATUS: REGULAR PART-TIME (RPT) FULL-TIME EQUIVALENT: 0.47
WORK HOURS PER WEEK: 25 NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
MONTHS ACTIVE: AUGUST-MAY POSITIONS SUPERVISED: 0
Under Oregon statute, after July 1, 1996, an offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the results of criminal offender information record check, and possibly fingerprinting, conducted on applicants for employment in early childhood services agencies. Applicants who have been convicted of certain offenses or who refuse to consent to such background checks will not be hired for this position. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position. Continuation of all positions is contingent upon future funding.
NOTE – This position is for the 2019-2020 program year and is scheduled to start on or about August 26, 2019.
Special Note on Central Background Registry Requirement:
In order to be offered any position within our Head Start program, you must be currently enrolled in Oregon’s Central Background Registry. If you are not currently enrolled, you may still be considered for this position, but no offer of employment may be extended to you until this requirement has been completed. For information on how to enroll in Oregon’s Central Background Registry, please visit www.childcareinoregon.org or call the Office of Child Care at 1.800.556.6616.
*Note on Hiring Range:
For applicants with extensive qualifications and/or years of experience, the new hire maximum rate may be exceeded with the approval of the Director of Human Resources and the Executive Director. If approval is granted, it will be based upon careful review of the applicant’s qualifications, experience, internal equity and budgetary considerations. The final rate approved will typically never be at a rate equal to or above the established market rate for the position.
In support of the Agency’s mission, and under the direction of the Teacher, the Classroom Aide is responsible for assisting the classroom teaching team with the implementation of a high-quality preschool program for children that is consistent with Head Start policies and performance standards. The Classroom Aide works with children and parents in a sensitive manner which respects individual differences, cultural backgrounds, and current circumstances.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Work collaboratively with Teachers, other center staff, and volunteers to implement education and food service programs.
• Assist in maintaining a safe, healthy, orderly and nurturing classroom environment.
• Under the direction of the Teacher or Assistant Teacher, conduct developmentally-appropriate educational activities for children.
• Support classroom schedule and routines as directed by the Teacher or Assistant Teacher.
• Assist the classroom Teacher in maintaining classroom records as needed.
• Assist in serving meals and snacks to classes according to program Food Service procedures.
• Develop and maintain consistent, positive relationships with children, treating them with dignity and respect.
• Apply developmentally-appropriate positive guidance according to program policy.
• Support a welcoming classroom environment by modeling respectful behavior towards all children, parents and peers.
• Maintain confidentiality according to program policies and procedures.
• Strictly adhere to all safety policies and procedures at all times and respond/correct any at-risk safety issues immediately.
• Strictly adhere to agency code of ethics and standards of workplace behavior.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs including regular and reliable attendance and adherence to all company workplace behavior standards.
Marginal Functions and Responsibilities:
• Other marginal functions and responsibilities as assigned.
• Provide child care during monthly parent site/center meetings as required.
• Occasionally perform Bus Monitor duties on the school bus.
• Be at least 18 years of age.
• Minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Must be able to successfully pass applicable background and Oregon Central Background Registry checks prior to new hire processing and beginning actual employment.
• Completion of appropriate Fit for Duty and TB Testing according to Head Start regulations prior to date of hire.
• Bilingual in English/Spanish, written and verbal.
• Current Preschool Child Development Associate (CDA) OR enrolled in a program leading to an Associate’s Degree or higher in Early Childhood Education OR enrolled in a Child Development Associate credential program (Preschool) to be completed within two years.
• 16 or more hours of volunteer work in a Head Start classroom; or three (3) months or more experience at a community based child care center or home child care center.
Required Licensing or Other Special Certifications:
• Current Oregon Registry Step Certificate (or acquired within 90 days from date of hire).
• Current First Aid/CPR certification (or acquired within 30 days from date of hire).
• Current Oregon Food Handler Card (or acquired within 30 days from date of hire).
Required Physical Demands of Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Work is conducted mostly in a classroom environment with some potential for work on a school bus.
• Occasional phone use.
• Occasional use of video terminal and keyboarding.
• Ability to monitor and respond to events going on at all times in the classroom and outdoor play areas.
• Physical ability to move quickly in order to redirect children for the purpose of insuring a child’s safety or the safety of others in the environment.
• Ability to respond appropriately both physically and mentally to en emergency or crisis situation, such as to provide CPR and/or First Aid to a pre-school age child, to evacuate a building, etc.
• In normal work day, may stand/walk __4__ hrs/day; may sit _4_ hrs/day; may drive __1 hrs/week; may use hands for repetitive grasping, pushing and pulling, typing and fine manipulation _2_ hrs/day; may use hands at or above shoulder level for _1_ hrs/day.
• In normal work day, may bend, squat, and/or climb frequently. Frequent kneeling, stooping, bending and sitting on the floor or in small chairs.
• Work is light in nature, occasional lifting up to 20 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 lbs. Occasional lifting of a child weighing up to 60 lbs.
• May require walking or standing to a significant degree, or sitting most of the time with a degree of pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
How to Apply for this Position:
To be considered we must receive a completed Community Action Employment Application form. You are welcome to also include a cover letter and resume at your option. Transcripts may be required for certain positions. Applications can be completed on our website: www.caowash.org or you can print off the application to complete or pick up the application form at either of our following locations:
Hillsboro – 1001 SW Baseline St, Hillsboro OR 97123
Beaverton – 5050 SW Griffith Dr, Suite 101, Beaverton OR 97005
Be sure to submit your application in a timely manner. If you choose not to complete an online application, you can send your completed application form, optional resume and cover letter and any other required documents via fax at 503.357.6057. If you prefer to mail your application be sure to mail attention Human Resources at the Hillsboro office address above.
All application submissions will be acknowledged with a receipt notification. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you.
All current Community Action employees are encouraged to apply for openings at Community Action which they are interested in. For current employees, some qualifications may be met by an equivalent combination or education and experience at the discretion of the employer.
Benefits: All regular full-time (RFT) status positions of 0.50 full-time equivalent or higher are eligible for our outstanding benefits package including:
• Generous paid sick and vacation time
• 12 0bserved holidays
• Medical, vision and dental insurance
• Free life and long term disability insurance
• Medex travel assistance
• Employer-matched 403(b) retirement plan
• Employee Assistance Program
• Rich and diverse mission-based working environment
COMMUNITY ACTION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Community Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or other protected status in accordance with applicable federal and state equal employment opportunity laws. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Complete details: https://caowash.applicantpro.com/jobs/