Post Date: 05/05/2020
Close Date: 06/30/2020
Bilingual Parent Mentor
Full-Time, Full Benefits
Job Req: 1209
This position requires lived experience, including personal experience and knowledge of substance abuse and a minimum 2 years in an active program of recovery.
Parents Anonymous of Oregon is seeking a Bilingual Parent Mentor to support Child Welfare-involved parents in Multnomah County. The Parent Mentor Program matches Parent Mentors who have a history of addiction and involvement with DHS Child Welfare with parents currently entering the Child Welfare system. They are role models demonstrating the possibility of change and a healthy life as a parent in recovery. Parent Mentors provide system navigation based on a combination of their personal experience and professional training provided by Parents Anonymous.
Empowering and coaching parents through their case with DHS, supporting them at Family Decision Meetings and court hearings, driving parents to appointments in the Portland metropolitan area, and providing support for other mentors on the team are all important aspects of this work.
The Parent Mentor Program is currently seeking female Spanish-speaking applicants who are familiar with the systems and resources in Multnomah County. The position will be based in our NE Portland office.
Primary duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop a trusting relationship with child welfare-involved parents by providing regular contact and support, including attending court and meetings with DHS when requested by parents
• Link parents with culturally responsive treatment services and community resources as needed
• Assist teammates and DHS Child Welfare staff in recognizing culturally specific issues of addiction and recovery
• Support parents in developing skills to parent in recovery and build social supports
Schedule: Monday through Friday, typical 8-hour shifts hours between 7AM-7:30PM. Weekends off!
Program: Parents Anonymous of Oregon
Perks and Benefits: Extensive benefit package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. Company provided Life and Long-Term Disability. Paid vacation and sick time. Access to employee resource groups and much more!
Education and Experience Requirements:
A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
• Personal experience and knowledge of addiction issues
• Minimum 2 years in active recovery from using alcohol and other drugs
• Personal experience of a DHS Child Welfare case, closed for a minimum 1 year required
• High School Diploma or GED or high school level writing and reading skills
• Shared lived experience with Spanish speaking families and families of color
• Bilingual in English & Spanish
Valued, but not required:
• Experience being sponsored in the 12 Step community or mentored by the Parent Mentor Program
• Knowledge of treatment and community resources preferred
• Certified Recovery Mentor certificate through MHACBO
• Basic clerical experience
• Basic computer skills, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets & email
• Position requires personal transportation allowing for travel within the assigned counties in a timely manner. If driving a personal vehicle for work purposes must have and maintain a valid driver’s license for state of residency, personal auto liability insurance at $100,000/$100,000 level, and a driving record permitting coverage under corporate auto liability policy
• Must pass a criminal history check. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify your application.
• May involve air travel outside the State of Oregon
Starting Pay Range:
Parent Mentor Bilingual (Spanish): $16.35 - $17.39
Morrison Child and Family Services is a non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive array of services to children, adolescents, and their families. As an agency Morrison, its team members, and clients commit to the following values of trauma-informed care:
• Nonviolence - being safe and doing the right thing
• Emotional Intelligence - managing our feelings so we don’t hurt ourselves or others
• Social Learning - respecting and sharing ideas of our teams
• Democracy - shared decision making whenever possible
• Open Communication - saying what we mean and not being mean when we say it
• Social Responsibility - everyone makes a contribution to the organizational culture
• Growth and Change - creating hope for our clients and ourselves
Visit our website to learn more about mission and history and our strategy for accomplishing our goal of achieving significant, positive, and long-term clinical outcomes for the clients we serve.
External Candidate Process: Click here to apply:
*** External candidates, if viewing job through a website without enabled links please visit: https://www.morrisonkids.org/careers/openpositions/ and select the job title “Parent Mentor (Bilingual)” and click: “Apply for Job”
Internal Candidate Process: Current Morrison employees, please visit our Internal Career Center by logging in Workforce Now ADP and following this path: Myself > Talent > Career Center
Not the right fit, or not yet ready to apply?
Join our Talent Community! We'll keep you updated on positions that fit your skill set and interest!
Position Open Until Enough Qualified Applicants Have Responded
We strive to Create a Diverse, Inclusive environment to Better Serve our Clients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Complete details: https://morrisonkids.org/job/parent-mentor-bilingual/