Post Date: 10/07/2019
Close Date: 10/20/2019
Director - Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Application Deadline: 10/20/2019
Agency: Oregon Department of Education
Salary Range: $7,171 - $10,518
Apply Online: https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/Public-Service-Building---ODE/Director---Office-of-Equity--Diversity-and-Inclusion_REQ-21789
At the Oregon Department of Education, we hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive. If you have a passion for providing exceptional service and thrive in a fast-paced environment, then we want to hear from you!
We are seeking an experienced professional as our Director in our Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. This position is located in our Salem Office of the Oregon Department of Education. If you enjoy being part of a collaborative team, building relationships and making a difference, then we want to hear from you!
What you will do!
As the Director in the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, you provide strategic counsel to the Assistant Superintendent while assuming significant day-to-day responsibilities for projects and tasks within the Office and advancing and maintaining cross agency, district, and community relationships.
You lead grant/contract activities and program/initiative teams within the Office’s purview. This includes directing and monitoring compliance with established policies, objectives, program priorities, and applicable laws/rules/regulations, as well as managing community and advisory committee engagement and providing technical assistance within and outside of the Office/agency to ensure compliance with state and federal requirements. You also support the Assistant Superintendent in hiring teams, drafting Oregon Administrative Rules, and developing the policies and practices need to successfully implement initiatives within the office and across the agency.
As a result of the breadth and scope of this work, you must understand and be able to expand upon:
• Equity barriers and supports within a pre-K through grade 12 and higher education system, including the impact of policies and programs on historically, traditionally, and currently underrepresented students, families, and communities
• The Oregon Equity Lens
• The difference between equality vs equity
• White fragility
• Sex and gender identities
• Intersectionality across legalities, socially and structurally
• The ability to interrupt with confidence and thoughtfulness
• Racialized immigration
• Ethno culture
• Being part of an equity team, including knowledge and understand of the specific bodies of work within the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
• Opportunity gaps
• Deficit language and Discourse 0, I, and II language
What are we looking for?
A skilled manager with at least four years of management experience in a public or private organization which included responsibility for each of the following: a) development of program rules and policies, b) development of long- and short-range goals and plans, c) program evaluation, and d) budget preparation; OR three years of management experience in a public or private organization which included responsibility for each of the following: a) development of program rules and policies, b) development of long- and short-range goals and plans, c) program evaluation, and d) budget preparation; AND 45-48 quarter hours (30-32 semester hours) of graduate level coursework in management.
Candidates who are the most competitive will possess the following background, skills and experience:
• Preference may be given to bilingual/bicultural candidates.
• Strong background in equity, diversity, and inclusion (e.g., experience serving on and/or leading an equity team in government, non-profits, district/school environments; experience in pre-K-20 teaching and/or administration)
• Strong research background in culturally responsive pedagogy, closing achievement and opportunity gaps for students of color, curriculum development for diverse populations of students, and multicultural education
• Experience with data analytics; mixed methods (qualitative and quantitative) and psychometrics.
• Excellent budget and analysis skills, including experience in fiscal and grant management of large-scale initiatives
• Experience in applying web technology as a communication tool
• Strong comprehensive writing skills and oral presentation skills
• Strong facilitation/collaboration skills
• Knowledge of local, state, and federal policies and programs
• Working knowledge of presentation software
• Ability to engage and establish effective relationships with administrators, teachers, parents, community organizations, institutions of higher education, and colleagues, including experience coordinating and facilitating Advisory Groups or Committees in guiding equity work
• Ability to be assertive and act with tact when faced with non-compliance issues.
• Ability to demonstrate a leadership role as a part of the collaborative team effort.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, follow the “Apply” link above and attach a resume and cover letter, and answer the additional supplemental questions. For external candidates, please make sure to attach all required documents in the section titled Resume/CV. Internal candidates attach your documents in the section titled Resume/Cover Letter. Failure to attach a cover letter and resume may result in disqualification of your application. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions on the application process.
The Department of Education is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to a diverse workforce. The Department strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet every one of our qualifications listed. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, please feel free to contact us to discuss your application.