Post Date: 11/06/2019
Close Date: 12/31/2019
POSITION: Police Officer Entry-Level
SALARY: $27.14 Hourly $56,440.80 Annually
OPENING DATE: 11/05/19
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Port of Portland police officers are state certified peace officers who provide law enforcement services primarily at the Portland International Airport and surrounding areas, in compliance with federal aviation regulations. The police department consists of 61 sworn personnel and 4 non-sworn staff. In addition to uniform patrol; sworn assignments include detectives, canine handlers (explosive detection), bomb technician and task force positions. Our primary mission, as a proactive law enforcement agency, is to provide for the safety and security of the traveling public, with emphasis on preventing potential terrorist attacks on the aviation industry.
Recruitment Process: Testing (FrontLine National Written Exam)--> Qualification/Application Material Review and Oregon Physical Abilities Test (ORPAT) --> Peer Review Board Interview--> Placement on Eligibility List--> Oral Board Interview--> Background Investigation--> Chief's Interview--> Psychological Exam --> Medical Exam --> Pre-employment Drug Test --> Employment Confirmation
FrontLine National: Candidates are responsible for scheduling and taking their written exam within the advertised testing window. The FrontLine National written exam can be scheduled by visiting the National Testing Network (NTN) website at www.NationalTestingNetwork.com. NOTE: You must elect to have NTN share your scores with the Port of Portland.
Port of Portland Employment Application: To be considered for employment with the Port of Portland Police Department, candidates must complete the Port of Portland's employment application by visiting our website: www.portofportland.com. It is important that your application show all of the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may be rejected if incomplete. Resumes are not a substitute for incomplete or partially completed applications.
FrontLine National: A passing score of the written exam is required to continue in the selection process.
For questions related to the selection process, please contact Monique Hunter by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 503.415.6539.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be responsible for the protection of life and property within the jurisdiction of Portland International Airport (PDX).
- Provide police emergency response, patrol, investigations and court testimony.
- Ensure the public convenience and well-being of travelers using airport facilities.
- Serve the needs of the airport and associated businesses and properties in a prompt and professional manner.
- High school diploma or GED is required. A degree in criminal justice, social science or related field is preferred.
- Prior experience in security operations, law enforcement, or a private security settings is preferred.
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of hire.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Oregon or Washington State driver's license at time of hire.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Possess combination of physical strength and stamina required to perform physical performance expectations.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to:
- write comprehensive and confidential reports as assigned.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, and general public.
- work under adverse conditions.
- pass a comprehensive police background check and post-offer drug test, psychological evaluation and medical examination.
Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that he or she needs an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6690
Complete details: https://portofportland.com/Careers