Post Date: 12/04/2018
Close Date: 01/04/2019
Position Title: Shelter Coordinator
Reports To: Shelter and Housing Services Manager
Department: Programs and Services - Shelter
Schedule: 40 hours per week, including at least one evening and weekend shift
Salary Range: $18 - $20 per hour, depending on experience
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Cover letter, resume, and completed Raphael House employment application form must all be received in order to be considered. If any of the three application materials are missing or incomplete, your submission will not be considered.
For more than 40 years Raphael House of Portland has helped domestic violence survivors and their families find safety, hope, and independence. We proudly provide family-centered, culturally responsive, and gender-inclusive services. Our confidential emergency shelter serves individuals and families fleeing intimate partner violence, and is open and staffed year-round, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Of our eleven rooms, nine are for families and more than half of our residents are children. In addition to immediate safety and basic needs, Raphael House staff work round-the-clock to help survivors reach their goals and achieve permanent housing, self-sufficiency, and long-term stability.
Under the supervision of the Shelter and Housing Services Manager, the Shelter Coordinator provides assistance and supervision to emergency shelter Advocate staff, and offers task support for Youth and Family Advocates working in our shelter. This position is responsible for the daily implementation of safe, quality services at our confidential emergency shelter – which provides refuge for up to 36 domestic violence survivors and their children at any given time.
• Ensures consistent, trauma-informed, inclusive, and high-quality service for all emergency shelter residents through implementation of our Engagement Model, and by utilizing PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports) and Assertive Engagement methods.
• Supervises all emergency shelter Advocate staff, including full-time Jesuit Corps volunteer. Provides individualized guidance and support, maintaining a team focus and ensuring mission-driven work while mitigating secondary trauma.
• Schedules emergency shelter Advocate team to ensure 24/7 staff coverage and seamless crossover of staffing.
• Supports Youth and Family Advocates during their shift, as needed.
• Onboards, trains, and supports emergency shelter Advocate staff regarding Raphael House policies and procedures including agency philosophies around diversity, equity, and inclusion; trauma informed care; and our empowerment and strengths-based approach.
• Facilitates weekly meeting of all emergency shelter Advocate staff and other relevant advocacy meetings.
• Provides back-up support to emergency shelter Advocate staff – typically by phone, though this may require coming on-site as necessary.
• Collaborates with the Advocacy Center Coordinator to ensure survivors receive seamless and consistent support from all Raphael House programs.
• Receives and responds to grievances and reasonable accommodation requests, and helps manage challenging situations in shelter.
• Responsible for maintaining internal paperwork updates as needed and assigned.
• Conducts reviews of emergency shelter case files and ServicePoint records. Consults regularly with the Shelter and Housing Services Manager and the Youth & Advocacy Services Manager to ensure shelter participant files are up-to-date, accurate, and survivor-centered.
• Helps distribute and track client assistance dollars within our emergency shelter.
• Compiles data for Federal, State, County, and other appropriate funding sources.
• Participates in the evaluation, implementation, and update of current emergency shelter policies and procedures.
• Attends appropriate Shelter Coordinator meetings in the community.
• Responsible for periodic personnel reviews of assigned staff.
• Attends All Staff and other Raphael House meetings, including participation in at least one agency committee.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of trauma informed care and environmental design.
• Familiarity with mediation and crisis de-escalation techniques.
• Ability to use mature judgement in decision-making or conflict resolution with adult and children and in dealing with uncomfortable situations and conversations.
• Ability to interact professionally, calmly, and equitably and to use supervision appropriately.
• Ability to multi-task and to exercise good judgment in a fast paced environment.
• Ability to work independently and delegate effectively.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite, the internet, and learn new computer programs as needed.
• Completion of 40-hour domestic and sexual violence advocacy training within past 5 years, or willingness to go through training within first six months of employment.
• Familiarity with domestic violence issues, and knowledge of local resources.
• At least two years of experience in a leadership and/or supervisory role. Previous work in a shelter setting highly preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in Social Services and/or at least 2 years’ experience working with survivors of domestic violence or equivalent.
• Lived experience as a survivor of domestic violence highly valued.
• Ability to provide occasional evening and weekend emergency shelter coverage in the event that alternative coverage cannot be arranged.
• Valid driver's license and safe driving record.
• Bilingual/bicultural highly preferred.
This position will work in a traditional, but fast-paced setting. Must be able to work under deadlines and under stress-inducing conditions. Must be able to move throughout the building and operate a vehicle, as needed. A domestic violence agency environment can potentially shift from stable to highly-charged and all employees must remain flexible, calm, and creative.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and completed Raphael House employment application (found on our website via the link below) to Christina McGovney at CMcGovney@raphaelhouse.com or mail to 4110 SE Hawthorne Blvd. #503 Portland, OR 97214. This position is open until filled. No phone calls, please.
You can find our employment application form on our website at https://raphaelhouse.com/employment-opportunities/.
Raphael House of Portland is an Equal Opportunity Employer