Post Date: 10/29/2019
Close Date: 11/25/2019
12.2300 To 18.3500 (USD) Hourly
A healthy community begins at home. REACH provides quality affordable housing and opportunities for individuals, families, and communities to thrive.
REACH is an equal opportunity employer that strives to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture.
This organization believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the employee nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
This is a limited duration role with the intent to be eligible apply to Maintenance Tech positions within 6 - 12 months. The Jr. Maintenance Technician performs basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, and repair and maintenance tasks to maintain properties in good condition. Basic skills are required however this is an entry level position and will include on the job training.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
• Complete maintenance and repair projects as assigned.
• Perform unit turnover preparation repair and maintenance.
• Maintain lawns and landscaping, where applicable.
• Maintain complete records of maintenance, mileage, costs and repairs.
• Report unsafe or hazardous conditions to staff.
• Assist with annual property inspections.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Contact tenants for scheduling repairs.
• Maintain work area in clean and professional manner.
• Must be able to adhere to organizational policies on non-discrimination.
• Ability to effectively interact with co-workers and clients with diverse ethnic background, religious views, political affiliation, cultural background, life-styles, and sexual orientations, treating everyone with respect and dignity.
• Employee is to maintain regular and reliable attendance.
REACH employees are expected and required to behave in a professional and courteous manner in doing REACH business and dealing with other staff, residents, and all contacts inside and outside the organization. Profanity, derogatory and abusive language is specifically forbidden.
Scope & Accountability:
• Operate from established and well-known procedures.
• Decisions are made within established organization guidelines.
• Performs duties independently, but guidance and direction are provided by supervisor.
• Position involves a moderate to higher degree of complexity in dealing with recurring work situations with occasional variations from the norm.
• Work is reviewed by Property Manager or Maintenance Technician.
• Errors may result in improperly or uncompleted repair or maintenance, excessive expenses, and affect building integrity.
• Position has no supervisory duties.
• Majority of contacts are internal and involve department staff, supervisor and residents.
• Contacts are normally made at request of supervisor, and often concern confidential or sensitive matters.
• Majority of contacts occur face-to-face, but also frequent contact with tenants by phone or written notice.
• REACH employees are expected and required to behave in a professional and courteous manner in doing REACH business and dealing with other staff, residents, and all contacts inside and outside the organization.
• Profanity and abusive language are specifically forbidden.
Specific Job Skills:
• Basic working knowledge of current repair and maintenance techniques and procedures.
• Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Outlook and Excel. Working knowledge of smartphone technology including phone calls, text, email and calendar.
• Ability to deal effectively with all types of people.
• Ability to speak, read and write English.
• Basic math skills.
Education and/or Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Sufficient experience to provide basic working knowledge of maintenance / repair practices and techniques.
• Knowledge of fair housing or demonstrated ability to learn new complex procedures preferred.
• Demonstrated dependability, punctuality and strong work ethic required.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• May be exposed to angry, distraught or potentially violent people
• May require overtime to meet deadlines
• May require evening and/or weekend meetings
• Requires period of walking, standing or working in confined spaces
• Requires lifting or moving objects weighing up to 25 lbs. on a regular basis;
• May require the need for frequent shifting of priorities and deadlines
• Work levels tend to fluctuate with deadlines of rent receivables, audit periods or during annual volunteer events
• Requires work with a variety of age groups
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and readily and effectively communicate. The ability to climb stairs, balance, stoop, twist, crouch, crawl, lift below and above and above shoulders, as well as the ability to lift a heavier lifting limit. The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds on a regular basis; 100 pounds on an irregular basis. Vision abilities required by this job include ability to effectively see within an office environment, which may include long term computer exposure, and to adjust focus accordingly.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time-to-time, as needed.
The company reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the company desires. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship is “At-Will”. The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.
Junior Tech Required Tool List
• 4” tape knife
• Mud tray
• Drywall saw
• Wire stripper/cutter
• Simple electrical tester/meter
• Side cutting pliers
General Hand Tools:
• Heavy duty cordless drill
• Drill bits, assortment (wood/metal/masonry)
• Assorted pliers, regular and slip joint (“channel lock”)
• Utility knife
• Adjustable wrench
• Pry bar
• Screw drivers, assortment
• Parts container for items such as nails/screws/and other small items
• 2.5” tapered brush
• 4” Brush
• Roller cage / hanger with extension
• Initial set of roller covers
Personal Safety Gear
• Safety glasses
• Work gloves
Complete details: https://reachcdc.org/reach/careers