Post Date: 05/07/2019
Close Date: 07/24/2019
This Job Posting has been Open Until Filled. The next application review date will be on Monday, May 13, 2019.
Screening interviews may be conducted during this job posting.
Hourly: $17.96 - $22.72
In addition to competitive wages, Clackamas County offers an attractive benefits package for employees in regular status positions.
With the Clackamas County Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs), you may be eligible for loan forgiveness, re-payment and scholarship opportunities through Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) and/or the Oregon Office of Rural Health (Oregon Medicaid Primary Care Loan Repayment Program). In addition, there may be options for loan forgiveness while working with a government/public agency with the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program.
You can find out about more benefits offered at the below links:
This is a full time County position represented by the Employees' Association.
Clackamas County's Health Centers Division is currently seeking to fill a vacancy for a Dental Assistant, EFDA (Expanded Function Dental Assistant) to assist dentists and dental hygienists in the examination, oral health instruction, and application of dental sealants to improve the oral health of our patients. The EFDA will offer team support in the areas of infection control, and other duties necessary to provide coordinated services for our patients. EFDA's may be assigned duties to perform necessary clerical and technical support functions required to improve the quality of delivery to our clients.
There are two dental clinics at the county: one is located at the Sunnyside Health Center and the other is located at the Beavercreek Health Center (this position will be split between the two locations). Both sites offer our patients comprehensive, integrated healthcare including primary care, behavioral health, and dental care services. Applicants should have the desire to promote this medical home model within our clinics. Our clinics are Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC), serving ethnically and socioeconomically diverse populations. This position provides an opportunity to work with uninsured and underinsured populations with varied needs.
What we offer:
• Excellent benefits package including 3.6 weeks of vacation and 10 paid holidays
• Employer paid 6% retirement contribution
• Robust wellness programs including gym discounts and wellness education classes
• Choice of three comprehensive medical and dental plans
Required Minimum Qualifications/ Transferrable Skills:*
• Possession of an appropriate and valid certificate of Expanded Function Dental Assistant as provided in OAR 818-042-0080, including a certification of radiologic proficiency, issued by the Oregon State Board of Dental Examiners.
• Successful completion of a program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, or other course of instruction approved by the Board, is a prerequisite for performing the application of pit and fissure sealants, as provided in OAR 818-042-0090.
• Must possess and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Must successfully pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
• Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check.
• Possession of a valid driver's license or an acceptable alternative method of transportation. Accommodation requests for an acceptable alternative method of transportation will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation. Specific information on the County's driving policy can be found at Driving and Vehicle Policy (EPP 52).
Preferred Special Qualifications/ Transferrable Skills:*
• At least one (1) year of experience as a Dental Assistant, EFDA
*For Veterans qualified for Veteran’s Preference: If you believe you have skills that would transfer well to this position and/or special qualifications that relate to this position, please list those skills and/or qualifications in the open-ended question at the end of the application and explain how those skills and/or qualifications relate to this position.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
1. Greets and Interacts with patients in a respectful and courteous manner. Proactively monitors client wait times and ensures patients are kept informed of schedule delays. Conducts phone follow-up and documentation for missed patient appointments. Acts as liaison with treatment staff and providers. Follows-up on client concerns and takes action or refers to appropriate sources. Schedules patient appointments.
2. Performs expanded function duties as allowed by the Oregon Board of Dentistry, that may include; polish coronal surfaces with brush or cup as directed by dentist or dental hygienist, remove temporary crowns, preliminarily fit crowns, place temporary restorative materials, place and remove matrix retainers for alloy and composite restorations, polish amalgam restorations with a slow speed hand piece, remove excess supraingival cement, fabricate temporary crowns and any other functions permitted under OAR 818-042-0070 as directed and approved by a licensed dentist. EFDA certified dental assistants with completed course work may place sealants under direct or indirect supervision provided the patient has been examined by a dentist as well as apply temporary soft relines to full dentures.
3. Provides chair-side assistance to dentists and dental hygienists in limited oral surgery, repair and cleaning procedures; locates and passes dental instruments used in procedures, and mixes silver amalgam and synthetic filling materials.
4. Cleans, sterilizes and maintains all dental instruments following Center for Disease Control and OSHA guidelines and dental’s Infection control policy. This includes disinfecting operatories, following procedures assuring all instruments and supplies are sterile for patient care. Performs routine maintenance on dental equipment and hand pieces. Reports necessary repair needs, observes Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) guidelines and monitors supply (Inventory) levels.
5. Will documents and maintain electronic dental records, taking digital x-rays as requested by dentist, hygienist or dental policy.
6. Triages urgent patients per dental guidelines; refers uninsured patients for eligibility for services; schedules clients for return appointments; makes reminder phone calls; refers patients to medical and dental assistance programs or to area dentists.
7. Encourages team unity through sharing information, working collaboratively, productive problem solving and putting team success first. Follows Downtime priorities and project lists. Follows through on assigned tasks. Provides break relief for co-workers.
8. Will follow all policies/procedures in place to promote a safe and healthful work place. All employees will incorporate safe work practices with each task performed and actively participate in initiatives designed to promote a safe work environment.
Working knowledge of: Apply the techniques of expanded duty dental assisting; standard office procedures, techniques and equipment; x-ray techniques; materials, instruments and tools used in the field of dentistry and oral hygiene; dental record documentation processes; appropriate cleaning, disinfecting and sterilizing techniques, dental terminology and routine practices, procedures, and techniques of preventative dentistry and oral hygiene; basic math; English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation, both orally and in writing.
Some knowledge of: Oral anatomy; nutrition as it relates to oral hygiene; public health and community health principles, concepts and practices; HIPPA guidelines.
Skill to: Operate and maintain dental equipment and supplies; operate, maintain and test various laboratory equipment; operate x-ray equipment and process film; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing in a courteous and professional manner with patients of different ages and socioeconomic backgrounds; instruct patients in the techniques, practices and methods of promoting and maintaining good oral hygiene; implement standard office procedures and use modern office equipment effectively; maintain and sterilize dental instruments and equipment; establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, other health care professionals and patients; maintain strict patient confidentiality as outlined in HIPAA guidelines.
This position works 40 hours during a standard workweek of Monday through Friday.
Hours will be split between the two locations: Monday & Tuesday at Beavercreek Clinic and Thursday & Friday at Sunnyside Clinic
EXPLORE CLACKAMAS COUNTY
Clackamas County is in a prime location in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area and is recognized nationally as one of the most livable areas in the United States. Located on the southern edge of the City of Portland and extending to the top of Mt. Hood, Clackamas County is part of a thriving region in the Northwest. It has a population of about 400,000 citizens.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Clackamas County Health Centers provide direct medical, dental, and mental health services to Clackamas County residents.
We provide services at our Integrated Primary Health Care Clinics, our mental health clinics, or through our School Based Health Centers.
Clackamas County only accepts online applications
Clackamas County does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, applicants will be required to complete an I-9 and confirm authorization to work in the United States.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Clackamas County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the Department of Human Resources prior to the recruitment close date. You may request an accommodation during the online application process.
Complete details: https://hrapp.clackamas.us/psc/recruit/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&JobOpeningId=104981&PostingSeq=1&SiteId=1&languageCd=ENG&FOCUS=Applicant