Post Date: 04/12/2018
Close Date: 12/31/2018
Community Relations Manager - Rock Creek Campus
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09375
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Management; Level J; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Minimum $60,429 to range mid-point of $74,024. Placement generally will not exceed the mid-point, based on qualifications, experience and internal equity. (Full Range is $60,429 to $87,621)
Job Close Date: For best consideration apply by June 1, 2018
Portland Community College is looking for a Community Relations Manager (CRM) for the Rock Creek Campus. This is a critical role for Rock Creek, often the first line of communication and engagement with the local community for questions, complaints and information. Internally, the Community Relations Manager acts as part of the Rock Creek Campus leadership team, and as liaison to the District's Government Relations, College Advancement, and Communication and Marketing teams, as well as with the other campus Community Relations Managers. In the community, this role is an important face to both the College and the Rock Creek Campus. On occasion, this role will represent PCC and the Rock Creek Campus at community and political events. In support of Rock Creek's local community, it is highly desirable for the new Community Relations Manager to have experience building rapport with Spanish-speaking and/or Latino community-based organizations.
Telling the story of the student experience at PCC and Rock Creek, and communicating this with impact to our community, corporate and philanthropic partners is a significant part of the job. This may be through written communication, public or group presentations, or in response to a question or concern from the community. The Community Relations Manager must act with professionalism, neutrality, critical thinking, and emotional intelligence to provide the appropriate communication and responses. We are looking for a culturally competent communication leader who can gather and disseminate feedback from the community and stakeholders ? a leader who both takes initiative to address identified issues, and commits to following through to the appropriate solution or closure.
PCC Rock Creek is about 12 miles west of downtown Portland, in the growing Beaverton-Hillsboro area in Washington County. The 260 acre campus serves over 20,000 students each year and houses the Tualatin Hills Parks and Recreation sports complex and Washington County Historical Museum. Find out more at http://www.pcc.edu/about/locations/rock-creek/.
If this sounds like a learning community that you would like to be a part of, and an important role that you would like to play, please review the qualifications below and apply today!
Here is our Intended Recruitment Timeline
- April 10, 2018: Job Announcement Published
- June 1, 2018: Deadline for Preferred Applications
- Week of June 22, 2018: Semi-finalist Interviews
- Week of July 10, 2018: Finalist On-Campus Interviews & Tours
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employers Retirement System (PERS) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS. PCC also provides a 2% contribution to a 403(b) account for eligible management personnel. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
14.67 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and implements a plan to support the College's communications, community and public relations goals with activities specific to assigned area, as part of the College's overall Advancement goals.
- Serves as key point of contact for neighboring businesses, institutions, residents and others in assigned area. Initiates and supports opportunities for them to be engaged in college/campus life, engages them in college/campus issues or changes affecting them, and addresses their concerns.
- May supervise administrative services professionals, paraprofessionals, technical/support and classified staff and perform both direct and indirect supervision through subordinates.
- Regularly attends meetings of neighborhood associations, chambers of commerce, city councils, and other key associations and partners in assigned area. Regularly represents the college at external partner events. Coordinates communications with external organizations in assigned area, in collaboration with College Advancement.
- Provides marketing and public relations support to programs and departments of the college and in assigned area, that adhere to college brand standards and communications goals, and in coordination with the College Advancement Office.
- Writes news releases, profiles, and stories highlighting students and programs that support college and campus communications goals for the College Advancement Office.
- Conceptualizes, manages, organizes and supports college-wide and campus-based events, meetings, and other activities to promote the college and/or assigned area in collaboration with College Advancement.
- Supports College Advancement staff and Campus Presidents in promoting the college and liaising with the media, elected officials, donors, alumni and other key constituents, in alignment with college goals led by the College Advancement office.
- Serves as key point of contact for both College Advancement and the Campus President for faculty, staff, and students in assigned area. Initiates and supports opportunities for them to be engaged in campus life, engages them in college/campus issues or changes affecting them, and addresses concerns.
- Supports College Advancement and Campus Presidents with crisis and other college and campus communications.
- Attends Advancement and College Communications meetings and campus management meetings, and regularly meets with the Campus President.
- Supports special projects as directed by College Advancement and the Campus President.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements (Experience requirements use full-time equivalent):
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Communications, Business Administration, Education, Public Affairs, Public Administration, or related area. [Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.]
- Five (5)years progressively responsible, professional experience related to community relations,
- Two (2) years of lead or supervisory experience. [Successful completion of PCC LEAD Academy or a comparable external leadership training program may substitute for up to 6 months of lead or supervisory experience.]
- Must have a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving leadership; able to respond effectively to communicate and minimize impact in times of crisis, emergency or with sensitive and confidential issues
- Demonstrable knowledge of the political landscape and all levels of government, and the ability to assess how each impacts the College and the Rock Creek Campus.
- Demonstrated success establishing communication connections / partnerships with targeted community organizations; especially experience building rapport with Spanish-speaking and/or Latino community-based organizations
- Culturally responsive communication and interpersonal skills - written, verbal and public speaking - with diverse audiences at all levels. Demonstrated success using both facts and emotional intelligence to provide the appropriate communication and response
- Knowledge, and successful use, of all potential technology and communication tools to reach target audiences; including social media
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Experience with a large, complex organization in a communications role, which includes demonstrated success managing internal and external stakeholders effectively
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Completed online application
2. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
3. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1202854
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1202854