Post Date: 02/08/2019
Close Date: 02/28/2019
Deadline to apply: February 28, 2019 @ 5:00 PM, PST
Salary: $13.00 hourly
This internship opportunity would be of special interest for people who is currently enrolled in, or a recent graduate from, a Funeral Service Program. Metro encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds in order to foster a community of diversity, unique life experiences and points of view.
Metro is the Portland metropolitan regional government serving more than 1.5 million people in Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington counties. We serve the residents of the region by providing land use and transportation planning; entertainment, educational and convention-related venues; parks, natural areas, cemeteries and outdoor recreation facilities; and recycling and garbage services.
Metro's cemeteries team is looking for an intern that would like learn more about work in the cemetery. The essential duties of the position will be office and clerical work. The cemetery team tracks all data digitally and is transitioning to a new software program. The intern's primary role will be to double check and confirm accurate data in our current system by comparing the data to paper records and possibly help check the accuracy of information once it is migrated to the new system.
Depending on the intern's interest, there may be opportunities to assist with cemetery work on-site and to help with event programming happening at the properties.
At Metro, we hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.
Responsibilities of the Intern
• Cultivate and develop administrative skills and general office tasks.
• Gain customer service and sensitivity skills.
• Discover what careers are available in the cemetery field.
• Gain skill with database software, including data entry, confirming accurate data and digitizing records.
• Develop event coordination skills by planning events at the cemeteries that invite people to enjoy the outdoors and learn about the history of the properties.
• More opportunities may be provided; based on the skills and desires shown of the intern.
The following qualifications are required
• High School GED or Diploma
Additional experience, knowledge and skills that would make you successful in this internship
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Keep supervisor informed of needs, problems and issues while they are still manageable.
• Have sensitivity and comfortably in handling records that involve death and other sensitive materials.
• Listen actively to customers, respond to their needs in a timely manner and show appropriate respect.
• Current interests in regional government, public administration, history and records, research, community outreach, land-use or genealogy, parks and nature and adaptability to increase knowledge in their field of study
To apply: visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center. Metro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Complete details: www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs