Post Date: 11/07/2019
Close Date: 12/31/2019
The Department of Curriculum & Instruction (C&I) at Portland State University is excited to announce an opening for tenure track appointment at the assistant or associate professor level to join our program; the proposed start date is September 16, 2020.
The C&I department is seeking a 1.0 FTE 9-month, tenure-track faculty appointment at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in P-12 Teacher Education with expertise in one or more of the following: teacher preparation, middle grades pedagogy, clinical practice, middle grades education, doctoral education, dual-language and/or bilingual education. Rank will be determined based on qualifications and experience. Position begins September 16, 2020. The successful candidate will:
• Teach courses in the department’s teacher education, C&I advanced degree, and doctoral programs.
• Advance a scholarly agenda.
• Serve as an academic adviser to C&I students in the Master’s degree programs, initial teacher preparation programs, and doctoral program.
• Serve as program coordinator for a C&I program.
• Serve on University, College of Education, and Department committees as assigned.
• Participate in community outreach and partnerships.
• Actively collaborate with core faculty on departmental administrative activities.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Earned doctorate in Education or a related field from an accredited program by time of start date.
• Evidence of successful experience teaching in an elementary, middle, or high school.
• Evidence of scholarly accomplishment and ability to articulate scholarly agenda.
• Evidence of program or project coordination in schools or university settings.
• Experience working in diverse settings committed to equity.
• Record of ability to foster community relationships and engage in learning collaboratively with students, community partners, staff, and colleagues.
• Successful completion of a criminal background check.
• At least 3 years successful experience teaching in an elementary, middle, or high school setting.
• Experience and commitment to using technology for teaching and learning.
• Experience teaching one or more of the following: assessment, methods, classroom management, middle grades pedagogy, learning theories, teacher research, research methods, doctoral education, dual-language and/or bilingual education.
• Ability to mentor doctoral students and teach doctoral classes.
• Experience in teacher education and providing initial teacher preparation supervision.
• Experience in P-12 school-university, community partnerships.
• Experience with program coordination in a university setting.
• Experience writing and implementing grant proposals.
• Experience with and demonstrated commitment implementing critical pedagogues and addressing issues of social justice, working with diverse students, staff, and community members.
• Commitment to constructivist teacher education philosophy and practices.
The starting annual salary rate for this position will be at $62,604 at the Assistant Professor and $74,817 at the Associate Professor level. The starting salary may be negotiable above this range; however it will be dependent upon the knowledge, experience, skills and abilities of the chosen candidate, the budget of the hiring department, and approval from HR. PSU’s excellent benefits package includes 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Long Tran 503-725-4684 or email at email@example.com.
Our university community values campus diversity and we particularly encourage members of historically underrepresented groups to apply. Individuals with research and teaching interests relating to multiculturalism, ethnicity, prejudice and social justice are of particular interest.
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.
Complete details: https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/31487