Post Date: 10/03/2019
Close Date: 10/31/2019
Reports to: Manager, Application Development
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Date Written/Revised: September 2019
Learning.com is looking for a full Web-stack Software Engineer to join our development team! As part of an Agile team you’ll contribute to a wide variety of tasks, but your primary work product will leverage Angular 7/8, C#/.NET Core, and SQL languages.
Development at Learning.com
We build web-based software-as-a-service for the K-8 US education market. This includes a Learning Management System for educators and interactive digital content for students. We create our products using technologies like SQL, Redis, Docker, C# / .NET Core, Angular, and HTML5/CSS.
Like all companies of a certain age, we have some legacy applications and code. However, we’ve made substantial investments in modernizing and cutting technical debt. The bulk of our codebase and investment today revolves around an event-based microservices architecture. We conduct daily releases – code changes made in one of our microservices in the morning are often tested and in production by that evening!
Our development organization is divided into teams using Agile methodologies (think Scrum or Kanban). Teams are cross-functional and contain multiple engineers as well as dedicated QA, team facilitator, and product owner roles. We also practice a user-centered design philosophy where empathizing with user needs and getting continual feedback is paramount to design and implementation decisions.
You’re an engineer who likes to work in highly collaborative environments. In a team situation, you put forward your best effort and expect the same of your peers. You are open to hearing diverse perspectives and support good ideas, even when they are not your own.
You are self-motivated. In a situation where nobody is standing over your shoulder, you can keep yourself focused on what is most important and move forward toward that goal.
You have a growth mindset. When you come across something you don’t know how to do, you think to yourself, “I don’t know how to do that…. yet.” You like learning new things and view challenges as opportunities.
You feel comfortable working in any layer of our application. Maybe you favor working on front end visual elements or digging into web services. However, should the need arise you’re not afraid to jump from one to the other or perhaps craft up some SQL to retrieve that dataset your team needs.
You are solutions oriented. Not only do you spot and highlight risks or challenges, you also offer potential solutions and can discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
About the Role
As a Software Engineer at Learning.com, you’ll be expected to:
• Collaborate within an Agile software development team
• Write efficient and testable code using HTML5, CSS, Angular, C#, and SQL
• Track your progress within our software issue tracking system (Jira)
• Participate in open and consistent communication with your team
• Give and receive feedback during peer code reviews
• Participate in release activities and provide support for completed work
• Understand the needs of our users
• Refine and estimate user stories with product owner
• Be self-motivated and work with minimal supervision
To qualify for this role, you should fulfill these requirements:
• 2-5 years of experience in a software engineering or development role
• Demonstrate proficiency in at least two, and ability to learn all, of the following:
• Bachelor’s in Computer Science, coding camp completion, or equivalent work experience
This position is not open for any third-party agencies.
Learning.com is a national leader in providing digital literacy solutions that help prepare students for online assessments, school, college, and their future careers. The company offers a complete digital literacy curriculum for grades K-8 that engages students as they develop critical skills such as keyboarding, business applications, online safety, computational thinking, and coding. Founded in 1999, Learning.com currently partners with one in six U.S. school districts and serves more than 4 million students each year. The company has earned more than 30 industry awards, including ISTE 2017 Best of Show, 2017 Award of Excellence from "Tech & Learning Magazine", and "The Oregonian’s Top Workplace” for 2018, 2017, and 2016
Learning.com offers full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
• Comprehensive health-care benefits
• Flex-time and telecommuting opportunities
• Flexible paid time off policy, including volunteer time off
• Free snacks, drinks, and fresh fruit
• Fitness and bike commuter reimbursements
• Education reimbursement
• Dog-friendly office
• Active Diversity & Inclusion Program
• And more!
Learning.com is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Complete details: https://learningjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/379741.html