Post Date: 01/23/2020
Close Date: 02/20/2020
Under the direction of the Security Services Department, provide security and customer service at the Portland Public Schools District Office visitor entrance. The position will be responsible for the operational flow of the building and facility safety through interactions with visitors and staff.
• Greet and welcome all visitors to the building. Provide guidance to visitors to required destinations.
• Perform Security Measures such as:
-maintain incoming and outgoing visitor sign in/out log
-issue badges for guests to wear while in the building
-check that employees are displaying their district issued IDs
-asking questions to people who seem lost or out of place
-conducting building patrol to observe safety issues
• Answering incoming calls and provide basic information to callers or redirecting calls to the appropriate district partner.
• Perform office work including but not limited to entry of data, responding to emails, and maintaining files.
• Notifying proper authorities based on established protocols if/when unwanted/unsafe situations arise.
• Documenting security related incidents that occur for internal leaders and external authorities.
• Demonstrate a commitment to the Portland Public Schools Equity Initiative by developing a thorough knowledge and application of the district Racial Educational Equity Policy, Equity in Public Purchasing and Contracting and other board policies; model appropriate behaviors; develop, recommend, implement and communicate improvements to school and business practices with awareness and understanding of their impact in a racially and culturally diverse community.
• Perform other duties as assigned
Skills & Ability to:
• Display diplomacy, discretion, judgment and listening and communication skills (oral and interpersonal) in interacting with community members and colleagues.
• Deliver a high level of customer service
• Multitasking and prioritization
• Attention to detail
• Work independently under minimal supervision
• Demonstrate a non-threatening, assertive presence
Education and Training:
Equivalent to graduation from high school OR GED
A combination of three (3) years of customer service, office administration and/or security related work. Any other combination of training and/or experience that could likely provide the desired skills, knowledge or abilities may be considered.
Current American Red Cross standard first aid and cardio-pulmonary resuscitation certifications are required within six (6) months of employment and must be maintained throughout district employment. In accordance with the State of Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training, any person working as a Campus Security Agent must be certified as an un-armed private security professional (ORS. 181.870; OAR 259-060-0005 thru OAR 259-060-0450). Certification must be provided at the time of appointment. School Safety & Security continuing education courses and certifications are required to be maintained throughout the course of employment.
Indoors and outdoors; occasional inclement weather; event crowds; some lifting, with occasional loads of up to 50 pounds.
Must be able to conduct foot patrols on a regular and ongoing basis
Walking , crouching, bending; carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds; reading and writing hand and typed notes and memoranda; hear normal voice-range frequencies and communicate on a two-way radio; speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
SALARY: $19.87 - $24.53
WORK YEAR: 260 Days
FTE: 1.0 (40 hours per week)
HOW TO APPLY: Please visit our website at: http://www.pps.net/Page/2158 and apply to Job# 20498
CLOSING DATE: February 20, 2020
The District is focused on eliminating systemic racism and its impact on student learning. PPS is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in all its educational and employment activities. The District prohibits discrimination based on race; national or ethnic origin; color; sex; religion; age; sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; pregnancy; marital status; familial status; economic status or source of income; mental or physical disability or perceived disability or perceived disability; or military service. Portland Public Schools is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.