Post Date: 01/02/2019
Close Date: 03/31/2019
Under the guidance/supervision of the Department Manager or Supervisor, perform essential clerical duties for clinical nutrition care and food service. Maintain records and reports. Collects, maintains and communicates data relative to patient's dietary requirements. Ensures menu selections are in compliance with prescribed diet order, nutritional adequacy, age, cultural background and religious practice.
• Gather patient menus, obtain food preference.
• Clarify food allergy and other information pertinent to the nutrition of the patient.
• Communicate such data to health professionals verbally and record information in the computerized diet office system.
• Assist clinical dietitian in modifying menus to meet the needs of individual patients and diet prescriptions.
• Daily use of computerized diet office system.
• Monitor calculated calorie, sodium, and fat controlled patient selections according to standards and procedures
• After all resources are exhausted set up patient trays according to menus with establish procedures.
• Deliver patient meal trays and supplements to nursing units, remove dirty trays and supplies.
• Monitor the quality of the food to meet and/or exceed the standard of the department guidelines for: taste, appearance, temperature, quality, and timeliness of preparation.
• Responsible to ensure no tray should leave the kitchen unless the order has been accurately filled.
• Answer telephone and faxes, receiving and distributing messages to appropriate members of the department or organization.
• Maintain sanitary standards in kitchen area designated for patient food service and apply proper food handling principles and techniques to maintain standards of food quality and comply with department policies.
• Keep diet office neat and orderly
• Assist supervisor or leadperson in gathering Quality Assurance data.
• Notify the appropriate person or follow current SMC Policy & Procedures for equipment needing repair or maintenance.
• Submit request for orders to the appropriate person for office supplies, menus and forms according to usage.
• Observe and maintain current knowledge of policies and procedures of department and facility.
• Perform other duties as determined by supervisor or leadperson that is directly related to job descriptions.
• This job description is not all encompassing.
• Two (2) years of dietary related experience in an acute care or skilled nursing facility or a degree in a Food or Nutrition related field from an accredited program (to be verified upon hire).
• Experience in the operation of standard kitchen appliances preferred.
• Experience in a room service environment.
• High School diploma or successful completion of G.E.D.
• BS in Food or Nutrition (or) AA in Dietary Technician (or) Certified Dietetic Manager, or a related degree from an accredited university preferred.
• Current Food Handlers Card upon hire
• Effective oral and written English language communication skills.
• General knowledge of special diets and nutrition therapy.
• Demonstrated customer-focused service skills
• Demonstrated adaptability to changes in work environment and related assignments
• Demonstrated effective time management skills
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, problem-solve, and negotiate with multiple levels of staff and patients.
• Functions well in a self directed team environment.
• PC Proficiency preferred.
• Medical Terminology preferred.
• Call Center preferred.
• Answering general phones and office clerical duties preferred.