Post Date: 01/27/2020
Close Date: 02/28/2020
POSITION: Legal Intern
SALARY: $14.52 - $25.06 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: 02/28/20 05:00 PM
APPLY ONLINE: https://portofportland.com/Careers
Are you a current law student interested in conducting legal work in the areas of business, transportation, environmental, land use and/or natural resources? The Port's Legal Internship position will give you the opportunity to expand your knowledge in these areas, as well as real estate transactions, public contracting, and the regulations governing airports and marine terminals.
To be considered for this intern position you must be a current law student enrolled in a Portland-area law school for the duration of employment (12 months). Spring 2020 law graduates will not be eligible for this internship unless documentation of post-graduation enrollment in an educational program during internship (e.g. LLM, SJD, MBA, etc.) can be provided at the time of application.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Legal research and analysis on various subjects including business transactions, transportation, real estate, environmental, land use and natural resources, public contracting including construction, airports, marine terminals, and industrial property development.
• Environmental and real estate due diligence work, including review of historical and title records.
• Assistance with government law and public records requirements.
• Legal support on Superfund liability allocation process.
• Contract drafting and evaluation of contract terms.
• To qualify for this role, a student must be enrolled in law school and have completed their 1L year by start date or have recently graduated from law school and be enrolled in a graduate degree program (required).
• In addition to completing a Port of Portland application, you must submit a cover letter, copy of your resume, current transcript, and a representative writing sample of no more than five pages.
• Organized and able to meet the demands of a professional work environment.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft computer applications, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Diligent and timely work on assigned projects.
• Regular attendance consistent with agreed schedule.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly present complex information.
• Work effectively with a diverse group of people.
• Ability to learn quickly and adapt to unexpected conditions.
• Show the utmost respect for others and passion for service.
• Work collaboratively with all Port staff, including a mentor that has close oversight.
• Listen, ask questions and complete projects as assigned.
• Maintain professional workplace demeanor, treating others cordially.
• Promote safety as a guiding principle and strive for safety improvements.
• Comply with all applicable Port policies.
• Demonstrate the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive.
Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that he or she needs an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6690
APPLY ONLINE: https://portofportland.com/Careers
Complete details: https://portofportland.com/Careers