Post Date: 03/20/2019
Close Date: 04/16/2019
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Location: Portland, OR
Posting Date: March 20, 2019
Application Deadline: April 16, 2019
Anticipated Start Date: May 14, 2019
As a member of the communications team, you support our messaging through online and offline channels, including social media, websites, newsletters, images, and printed publications. You work closely with our Communications Director and Creative Director to connect with our constituents through the stories of our work and visual expressions of our brand. You are excited to be a part of a collaborative team and to contribute to our overall communications strategy. You are a strong writer, have a high level of visual literacy, are technically competent, have a demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities to meet deadlines, and are familiar with culturally responsive and inclusive communications.
Who we are: Ecotrust creates and accelerates triple-bottom-line innovations to benefit our region and inspire the world. On the farm, at the coast, in the forest, and across our cities, we work in partnership towards an equitable, prosperous, climate-smart future. Our home is Salmon Nation, the region from California to Alaska that holds productive lands and determined people. We recognize the legacy of colonialism and the deep inequities of this place, and we believe that radical, practical change is possible and necessary. Since 1991, we have created durable change and sparked ideas across the globe.
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives and lived experiences that we believe foster learning, creativity, innovation, and equity. The communications team provides leadership and vision to center racial equity and social justice in Ecotrust’s storytelling.
• Collaboratively manage all Ecotrust social media channels, including producing original, visually impactful posts, engaging with partners, and growing our community.
• Work with communications, development, and events teams to design and execute priority social media campaigns around projects and events. Collaborate with others to design and execute social media campaigns.
• Maintain a running editorial calendar of social media requests from across the organization and develop a strong working knowledge of program-related content.
• Refresh ecotrust.org regularly with program and staff updates.
• Edit, write, and upload blog posts to our website.
• Curate and execute regular e-newsletter campaigns, including visual strategy and headline writing.
• Provide quick, thorough proofreading support for communications, development, and other teams.
• Manage our digital assets in an online repository.
• Assist in gathering digital assets including photography, audio, and video.
• Collaborate with communications, program, and project teams on written deliverables.
Tracking and Analysis
• Maintain our metrics spreadsheets and provide monthly analyses to the team.
• Monitor and update our earned media and media lists.
• Maintain our editorial style guide.
Teamwork and Project Management
• Take an active role documenting and coordinating communications team activities, including updating editorial calendars, creating meeting agendas, and supporting the Communications Director to track activities against allocations.
Storytelling and Strategy
• Collaborate with the communications team to identify opportunities for storytelling in our work and support storytelling efforts by doing research, conducting interviews, and proposing creative ideas.
• Support our communications strategy through events, targeted media campaigns, and other opportunities.
We are passionate about developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role but do not meet every qualification listed below, we urge you to apply. Transferable skills are any skills gained through education, work experience (including the military), or life experience that are relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills in your cover letter and clearly explain how they apply to this position.
• Commitment to Ecotrust’s mission to inspire fresh thinking that creates economic opportunity, social equity, and environmental well-being, and a demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
• Experience with culturally responsive and inclusive communications based on an understanding of disparities faced by communities of color and First Nations, Alaska Natives, and American Indian communities.
• Strong, versatile writer who takes editorial feedback well.
• Proven ability to manage social media networks, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and Adobe Creative Suite products.
• Familiarity with online publishing platforms (preferably WordPress) and/or MailChimp.
• Collaborative, curious, and eager to work in an innovative environment.
• Ability to work independently and in a support role; demonstrated ability to welcome and integrate feedback.
Preferred but not required:
• 2+ years experience in a marketing and/or communications role for a nonprofit organization or social enterprise.
• High degree of technical literacy and the ability to quickly learn new technologies, programs, and tools.
• Experience with Google Analytics and making recommendations based on a website’s track record.
• Experience with social media ad purchasing and/or other paid audience-building strategies.
• Basic project management experience.
Salary range: $40,000-$50,000 DOE
Reports to: Director of Communications
FTE: 40 hours/week
This is a full-time position on Ecotrust’s communications team, based in Portland, Oregon. Ecotrust offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage. Ecotrust is committed to growth and learning for all staff members and provides relevant developmental training opportunities. We are committed to supporting employees as whole people and strive to maintain a 40-hour work week, balancing after-hours work with our regular office hours.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the project. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference for this recruitment. The contact listed on the job announcement must receive all required documentation by the closing date of the recruitment.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to the contact above in advance to request assistance.
Learn more about this position: Info session on April 2, 2019 at 11 a.m.
We are hosting an informational conference call about this position on Tuesday, April 2 at 11 a.m. PST.
• Dial this number to join by phone: (669) 900-6833
• Meeting ID: 747 048 191
You may submit questions before or during the info session via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will record the session and update this position description with a link to the recording shortly afterwards.
How To Apply:
Please follow these directions closely. Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available at https://ecotrust.org/jobs/communications-coordinator) and forward with (1) a cover letter (1 page maximum), and (2) your resume to email@example.com with “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line by close of business on April 16, 2019. Your cover letter should clearly explain how your skills, experience, and interests fit this position.
The Selection Process:
• Initial review of qualifications
• Phone Interview
• In-person interview
• Reference checks