Post Date: 05/07/2018
Close Date: 12/31/2018
Career Specialist (3 positions - Temporary through 6/20/2019)
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09391
Location: Various Locations
Address: Various Locations
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Academic Professional; Level 3; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Starting Salary: $42,530 to $45,558 (Step 3); based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. Full 2017/18 Salary Range is $42,530 to $75,032.
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
Only current Portland Community College Staff (other than "Student" and "Casual" employees) are eligible to apply for this opening
These are temporary positions currently funded through June 20, 2019.
These positions are subject to annual renewal of funding.
The Employment Specialist is responsible for providing specialized employment services in support of an assigned program(s) whose ultimate goal is to provide training and support to clients of various backgrounds and skill levels. Incumbents in this classification are typically assigned to an area of specialization within a total employment services program. Specialization may include training clients in work force skills, job development, job referral, job placement, or employee retention. Incumbents have independent decision making authority and work with little or no supervision.
Positions are stationed at the following locations:
- Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center - 5600 NE 42nd Ave
- WorkSource Oregon - 30 N Webster
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
13.33 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
-Design and develop employment service marketing programs
-Make presentations to businesses within the community to promote employment services program and develop new jobs for clients.
- Develop and foster professional relationships with employers, placement agencies, and temporary agencies to ensure consistent contact for job leads within the community
- Match job seeking clients and employers using a variety of professional job placement skills. May participate in the interview process. Facilitate completion of paperwork. Conduct work site visits to employers to insure successful client placement.
- Plan and assess current work skills training needs. Develop curriculum and training materials. Facilitate life skills and job search skills classes.
- Maintain case files. Write detailed case notes. Track program/grant required statistics and summarize in report form.
- May provide interpretation assistance for non-English speaking clients.
-Provide individual support and encouragement to clients.
-Explore with the employer, client, and other community resources regarding available alternatives for addressing client barriers and focusing on job retention.
- Provide retention services to ensure client success and employer satisfaction
-Mediate or problem solve client/employer issues
- Perform related duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements (Note-experience requirements use full-time equivalent):
Bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Social Science, Communications, or related field (experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis).
Demonstrated experience working with college students, clients who have barriers in achieving self sufficiency, developmentally or physically disabled adults, or at-risk populations.
Demonstrated experience within area of specialization of position applied for.
Experience in case management in a social service or educational setting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of current labor market trends.
Knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity laws and other local, state, and federal laws pertaining to employment.
Knowledge of effective training techniques and adult learning theory.
Knowledge of local, state, and federal rules and regulations impacting assigned program.
Knowledge of community resources for appropriate referrals.
Skill in operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
Skill in effective group facilitation.
Skill at defusing angry and sometimes hostile clients.
Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects or to change priorities quickly and frequently.
Ability to work with an ethnically and culturally diverse population.
Ability to apply problem solving techniques to complex employee issues.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.
Note to Applicants
- For new employees, official transcripts are required to be submitted within 2 weeks of offer date for all degrees stated in the minimum qualifications.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your "Responses to the Required Questions" document how you meet the 6 Preferred Qualifications:
1. Experience working in an outcome driven system effectively and successfully.
2. Demonstrated experience conducting placement activities: giving job leads and referrals, developing resumes and cover letters, coaching and motivating individuals to pursue their employment goals.
3. Experience with career planning, developing training plans, and assisting with career path activities.
4. Experience maintaining case files with detailed case notes. Track program/grant required statistics.
5. Experience collaborating with multiple stakeholders to provide wrap-around services for participant success
6. Demonstrated ability to assist diverse program participants to identify and overcome barriers to successfully complete training activities, and/or obtain and maintain employment.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Completed Responses to how you meet the 6 Preferred Qualifications (attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Faculty/Academic Professional Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1217778
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1217778