Post Date: 11/05/2019
Close Date: 11/30/2019
Reports to: Director, Application Development
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Status: Full-time / Exempt
Location: Portland, OR
Date Written/Revised: October 2019
Learning.com is looking for a QA Engineer to join our development team! As part of an Agile team you’ll contribute to a wide variety of tasks, but your day to day work will involve manually testing new features developed by your team and writing automated tests for common use cases. You’ll also help facilitate 2nd level support to our customer support team by trying to reproduce customer supported issues and assign confirmed bugs over to software engineers for resolution.
Development at Learning.com
We build web-based software-as-a-service for the K-8 US education market. This includes a Learning Management System for educators and interactive digital content for students. We create our products using technologies like SQL, Redis, Docker, C# / .NET Core, Angular, and HTML5/CSS.
Like all companies of a certain age, we have some legacy applications and code. However, we’ve made substantial investments in modernizing and cutting technical debt. The bulk of our codebase and investment today revolves around an event-based microservices architecture. We practice continuous integration and daily deployments – code changes made into one of our microservices in the morning are often tested and in production by that evening!
Our development organization is divided into teams using Agile methodologies (think Scrum or Kanban). Teams are cross-functional and contain multiple engineers as well as dedicated QA, team facilitator, and product owner roles. We also practice a user-centered design philosophy where empathizing with user needs and getting continual feedback is paramount to design and implementation decisions.
You’re a QA professional who likes to work in highly collaborative environments. In a team situation, you put forward your best effort and expect the same of your peers. You are open to hearing diverse perspectives and support good ideas, even when they are not your own.
You are self-motivated. In a situation where nobody is standing over your shoulder, you can keep yourself focused on what is most important and move forward toward the goal.
You have a growth mindset. When you come across something you don’t know how to do, you think to yourself, “I don’t know how to do that…. yet.” You like learning new things and view challenges as opportunities.
You have a commitment to quality. You enjoy looking at new features with a watchful eye and helping your development peers reduce the chances bugs will be released into production. You relish identifying how to reproduce that “unreproducible” bug that the support team keeps hearing about.
You believe in the potential that automated testing can provide for scalable development and quality software. You either already know, or are excited to learn, a testing framework like Selenium that can automate common tests of a web-based application.
You are solutions oriented. Not only do you spot and highlight risks or challenges, you also offer potential solutions and can discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
About the Role
As a QA Engineer at Learning.com, you’ll be expected to:
• Collaborate within an Agile software development team
• Collaborate with other QA engineers to follow consistent practices
• Provide manual testing of new features in development
• Contribute to creating automated tests
• Track your progress within our software issue tracking system (Jira)
• Participate in open and consistent communication with your team
• Provide smoke and regression testing support for software releases
• Ensure user stories have testable acceptance criteria
• Help estimate difficulty of user stories with the team
• Be self-motivated and work with minimal supervision
To qualify for this role, you should fulfill these requirements:
• 2-5 years of experience in a software testing role
• Demonstrate understanding of black box, white box, and grey box testing
• Demonstrate understanding of unit, integration, and functional/end-to-end testing
• Knowledge of, or demonstrated ability to learn, a test automation framework like Selenium
• Knowledge of, or demonstrated ability to learn, SQL
• Strong written and oral communication skills
This position is not open for any third-party agencies.
Learning.com is a national leader in providing digital literacy solutions that help prepare students for online assessments, school, college, and their future careers. The company offers a complete digital literacy curriculum for grades K-8 that engages students as they develop critical skills such as keyboarding, business applications, online safety, computational thinking, and coding. Founded in 1999, Learning.com currently partners with one in six U.S. school districts and serves more than 4 million students each year. The company has earned more than 30 industry awards, including ISTE 2017 Best of Show, 2017 Award of Excellence from "Tech & Learning Magazine", and "The Oregonian’s Top Workplace” for 2018, 2017, and 2016.
Learning.com offers full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
• Comprehensive health-care benefits
• Flex-time and telecommuting opportunities
• Flexible paid time-off policy, including volunteer time off
• Free snacks, drinks, and fresh fruit
• Fitness and bike commuter reimbursements
• Education reimbursement
• Dog-friendly office
• Active Diversity & Inclusion Program
• And more!
Learning.com is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Complete details: https://learningjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/387279.html