Post Date: 01/31/2020
Close Date: 03/31/2020
Organizational and Campaign Overview:
Our Children’s Trust is a non-profit public interest law firm that provides strategic, campaign-based legal services to youth from diverse backgrounds to secure their legal rights to a safe climate. We work to protect the Earth’s climate system for present and future generations by representing young people in global legal efforts to secure their binding and enforceable legal rights to a healthy atmosphere and stable climate, based on the best available science. We support our youth clients and amplify their voices before the third branch of government in a highly strategic legal campaign that includes targeted media, education, and public engagement work to support the youths’ legal actions. Our legal work – guided by constitutional, public trust, human rights laws and the laws of nature – aims to ensure systemic and science-based climate recovery planning and remedies at federal, state, and global levels. We seek legally-binding, countrywide and/or statewide science-based Climate Recovery Plans that will return atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations to levels below 350 ppm by the year 2100.
o Eugene office.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Serve as member, and work collaboratively with all members, of the executive leadership team and under the direction of Executive Director/Chief Legal Counsel to carry out OCT’s legal strategy and mission.
• Direct and manage the activities of the organization in accordance with strategies, policies, goals and mission established by the Executive Director/Chief Legal Counsel and the Board of Directors. Ensure the achievement of short- and long-range goals for operations, human resources, financial performance, and growth-where needed to achieve the mission.
• Establish policies that promote mission, inclusivity, diversity, culture, security, professionalism and efficiency and operationalize the litigation strategy.
• Translate strategy into actionable goals for performance and achievement of mission.
• Implement organization-wide goal setting, performance management and annual operations planning.
• Supervise PT HR Manager, Finance and Benefits Manager and Office Administrator.
• Ensure effective recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management and retention.
• Ensure adherence to organizational policies and governing body legal requirements, enforcing compliance and taking action when necessary.
• Evaluate, recommend and ensure efficient operations across all functions.
• Drive quality professional achievement of organizational mission.
• Lead executive team in defining mission-driven strategic organizational goals for performance and growth.
• Oversee daily operations, and facilitate the work of the leadership team.
• Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication.
• Oversee HR function and staff.
• Oversee IT function and staff.
• Oversee finance function and staff in conjunction with Deputy Director.
• Serve as OCT management bargaining team member in union negotiations as needed.
Reporting Duties and Responsibilities:
o Report internally as requested.
Position Reports to:
o Executive Director/Chief Legal Counsel
o 15 years non-profit or law office executive experience, including human resources leadership.
o Proven track record of establishing professional and inclusive work environments.
o JD, relevant post-graduate study and litigation experience preferred.
o Proven track record of equity, diversity, inclusion success.
o Exceptional writing, organizational, and communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits:
OCT offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience and with the other members of our team. Employee benefits include employer-paid medical, vision, life, and disability insurance, retirement savings plan with employer match, paid vacation and holidays, and a relaxed work environment (albeit fast-paced).
We welcome, embrace, and respect diversity of people, identities, and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. OCT is an equal opportunity employer.
To Apply: Applicants should submit in a single PDF a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to Julissa@ourchildrenstrust.org. Please put “Chief Operating Officer” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
You can find out more about OCT at our website: www.ourchildrenstrust.org