Post Date: 01/24/2020
Close Date: 02/24/2020
POSITION: Vice President of Community Engagement & Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
DEPARTMENT: Destination Management
The Vice President of Community Engagement and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) serves as the primary subject mater expert and leader of Travel Portland’s community relations program with an emphasis on promoting the destination management interests of the organization, including its DEI inittives with local government and community decision-makers.
The VP has overall responsibility for developing DEI strategies both within the organization — and externally with the hospitality community and other stakeholders. The position plays an essential role by collaborating with management to propel programs that reflect Travel Portland’s commitment to providing opportunties for underserved communities to participate in the tourism economy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and physical demands satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation.
• Responsible for building strong relationships with local communities, neighborhoods, diverse groups, businesses, non-profits and regional organizations in order to fulfill Travel Portland’s mission of destination management through active community engagement.
• Direct the Destination Management Services team to ensure programs enhance our partners’ success and the visitor experience including the Destination Development Grant program.
• Direct the Senior Community Engagement and DEI Manager in implementing and managing projects that meet the mission and vision of Travel Portland.
• Oversee strategic relationships and programs that fulfill the destination management goals of the Tourism Master Plan. This includes working collaboratively with the Director of Government Affairs to create public sector partnerships.
• Serve as an advisor to other departments within the organization in order to develop local business partnerships that support and enhance strategic sales and marketing efforts.
• Actively collaborate with the Convention Sales team to market Portland as a preferred destination for organizations/associations of women and communities of color.
• Develop mulicultural relationships and resources to support Convention Sales and Services programs.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI):
• Provide leadership, coordination and strategic direction for the design and implementation of an institutional platform for diversity, equity, and inclusion for Travel Portland employees, community partners and sales efforts.
• Serve as a thought leader and resource to management to ensure the organization's commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and cultural competence is aligned with Travel Portland’s overall strategic and operating plans.
• Coordinate, direct, measure and evaluate Travel Portland’s multicultural/equity program activities to ensure inclusive outcomes and monitor long range goals across departments.
• Collaborate with the Director of Human Resources to develop, recommend, and execute creative strategies to foster the organizations’ diversity, equity and inclusion goals including identifying training resources for staff and/or partners.
• Work with senior management to assess company efforts on diversity and cross-cultural inclusion programs, establish best practices and identify programs to remove barriers that affect staff retention and advancement.
• When appropriate, serves as an integral partner with the Communications & Public Relations team to advise on timely responses to community events.
• Provide leadership and staff support to Travel Portland’s Community Action Commitee to determine Travel Portland’s position and engagement on issues important to the board and community.
• Provide collaborative leadership within the organization by working closely with the senior team to create shared success across the organization.
This position achieves success through the team by ensuring that they have the necessary leadership and tools to achieve success. The incumbent is responsible to carry out the full spectrum of management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws, and to ensure subordinates also carry out supervisory duties appropriately. Responsibilities include hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE; Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
Bachelor's degree or equivalent education in relevant fields and a minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in developing solutions and implementing strategies with a focus on community relations, diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives in an organization with diverse constituencies.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of diversity principles, practices, and procedures
• Skilled in time management with a proven ability to meet deadlines
• Skilled in problem-solving
• Skilled in leadership
• Skilled in communication with the ability to deliver information to a range of audiences with clarity, crispness, and effectiveness in writen and oral presentation
• Ability to communicate effectively and respectiully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds
• Ability to seek opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to get along with staff in a professional manner
• Ability to maintain composure in a high-pressure environment where personal and team accountabilities are the defining factors
• Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
• Ability to learn and apply new skills and information in dynamic environments
• Ability to perform highly detailed work on mutiple, concurrent tasks
Travel Portland believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our overall success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this Job Description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the incumbent or Travel Portland, to just the specific work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his or her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
If this could be a great opportunity to extend your professional reach, please respond through the SearchWide Global website or email your resume to the following SearchWide Global Executive:
Kellie Henderson, Senior Vice President | SearchWide Global
www.searchwideglobal.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
703-912-7247 (direct) | 703-463-7042 (mobile)