Post Date: 10/08/2019
Close Date: 10/22/2019
Position Title: Maintenance Technician (P5) - multiple vacancies may be filled
Location: Portland, OR
Posting Date: October 8, 2019
Application Deadline: Until filled
Anticipated Start Date: October 22, 2019
Who we are
Ecotrust creates and accelerates triple-bottom-line innovations to benefit our region and inspire the world. On the farm, at the coast, in the forest, and across our cities, we work in partnership towards an equitable, prosperous, climate-smart future. Since 1991, we have created durable change and sparked ideas across the globe. Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives and lived experiences that we believe foster learning, creativity, innovation, and equity. Learn more at Ecotrust.org.
The Maintenance Technician performs a wide range of building maintenance tasks at the Natural Capital Center and the Redd campus. This position is supervised by the CFO/COO and works alongside the Facilities Administrator, Facilities Coordinator, and an array of contractors to ensure the safety, cleanliness, and smooth operation of all the Ecotrust facilities.
Our buildings house a diverse group of tenants from a bicycle-based delivery company to architects to a rapidly growing set of event centers. The Maintenance Technician works with all the members of our community to resolve building issues in a timely and efficient manner. The work is fast paced, ever changing, and requires a fair amount of flexibility.
Who you are
You are resourceful, reliable, organized, flexible, and friendly. You bring demonstrable experience with and appreciation for all manner of building maintenance activities. You are self-directed and bring a strong customer-service orientation and a love of finding solutions. You enjoy learning about your environment and are excited to learn new things. You have a commitment to and a passion for Ecotrust’s mission.
Equity at the center
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives that will add richness to our evolving organization and networks. In accordance with Ecotrust’s value of centering equity, Black, Indigenous, Latinx, and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
● Perform annual and preventative maintenance tasks at the Natural Capital Center (NW Portland) and the Redd campus (SE Portland)
● Perform maintenance work including carpentry, painting, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, drywall, and more
● Performs sanitation duties as needed following pre-established best practices and food safety regulations
● Perform landscaping and groundskeeping duties including but not limited to leaf pickup, pruning, watering, planting, pressure washing, and grounds trash pickup
● Engage with visitors to the building, providing wayfinding and building information as needed
● Work with Facilities Manager to prioritize daily tasks and ongoing projects, tracking all work within CMMS software
● Coordinate maintenance work with tenants, providing timely communication regarding scheduling and status updates
● Develop familiarity with HVAC and access control systems. Responsible for managing these systems while on-call
● Identify maintenance needs around buildings, create work orders, and coordinate with relevant parties
● Assist contractors, providing access and building information as needed
● Communicate issues of drug use, illegal drinking, camping, threats, violence, and graffiti to Ecotrust management, security, law enforcement and/or emergency services
● Participate in on-call rotation and be available to perform after-hours emergency maintenance
*Transferable skills: any skills gained through education, work experience (including the military) or life experience that are relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills on your application and clearly explain how they apply to this position.
● Demonstrated commitment to safety and proficiency in safe working practices and use of Personal Protective Equipment
● Demonstrated ability to successfully complete all manner of maintenance tasks, including but not limited to: painting, drywall repair, HVAC maintenance, electrical repair, plumbing repair, and carpentry
● Display excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
● Sufficient English language skills to effectively communicate with stakeholders and complete required paperwork
● Sufficient computer skills as required to complete tasks such as email, data entry, work orders, and other basic functions
● Ability to perform required on-call duties and maintain a minimum one-hour on-site response time during all on-call shifts
● Maintain a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
● Ability to lift up to 60 pounds
● Based on Ecotrust’s cultural competency matrix, staff at the P5 level are expected to:
○ Understand one’s own identities and experiences pertaining to social equity
○ Be aware of values related to cultural identities; and
○ Value diversity
Salary Range: $15 to $20 per hour
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position. Ecotrust offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage.
We may use this job announcement to also hire a part-time Maintenance Technician position.
Depending on operational needs, the Maintenance Technician will be required to work from Ecotrust’s two locations in the Pearl (NW Portland) and inner SE Portland.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the project. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
Veterans' Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans' preference for this recruitment. The contact listed on the job announcement must receive all required documentation by the closing date of the recruitment.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to the contact above in advance to request assistance.
How To Apply:
Please follow these directions closely. Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available above as a PDF or Word DOC) and forward with a cover letter (1 page maximum) and resume to email@example.com with this position’s title in the subject line by close of business on the day of the application deadline listed above. Your cover letter should clearly explain how your skills, experience, and interests fit this position.
The Selection Process:
1. Initial review of minimum qualifications
2. Supplemental question review
3. Interview (over the phone or Skype)
4. Consideration of top candidates (in-person hiring activities)
5. Reference checks