Post Date: 02/12/2020
Close Date: 03/13/2020
POSITION: Electrical Engineering Associate
SALARY: $62,944.00 - $96,457.00 Annually
CLOSING DATE: 03/13/20 05:00 PM
APPLY ONLINE: https://portofportland.com/Careers
The Port of Portland takes pride in operating America's Best Airport, several marine ports, and properties and infrastructure located throughout the metropolitan area. The Engineering department is responsible to assure facilities, utilities, systems, and equipment are provided, maintained, upgraded, expanded, or retired in a reasonable manner. The Electrical Engineering Associate will work with engineers, project managers, operation and maintenance staff, and others throughout the Port.
The successful candidate will be team-oriented with a solid understanding of engineering principles, be highly collaborative, have a drive for results, and embrace the value and importance of service. We are looking for someone that will share the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals, has a passion for being inclusive and advancing practices, strategies and behaviors that promote inclusion, equity and opportunity for all.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide electrical system knowledge and engineering skills for the design, construction, maintenance, and continuing support of Port facilities, systems, and associated assets
• Work on project teams to ensure the viability of engineering designs and extended utilization of Port facilities/assets
• Provide electrical design, technical team guidance, and major construction project support to operating facilities
• Assist in day-to-day operations and capital asset expense budget planning
• Provide engineering design, technical direction, and administrative skills as needed in the planning, development, and implementation of projects with varying degrees of complexity
• Provide construction knowledge and engineering skills to offer alternatives, analyze and evaluate construction impacts for specific Port facilities systems and situations
• Prepare cost estimates and time schedules for proposed projects at the budget phase and through construction
• Provide engineering skills to produce contractually sound and biddable project documents including designs, drawings, and specifications for construction or maintenance of Port facilities
• Work within the cost, quality, and time parameters established for each project
• Apply professional judgment and experience to understand the broader business context for projects and the associated implications for those engineering decisions made
• Coordinate the use of external consultant resources when utilized
• Provide in-house electrical engineering knowledge to build an owner's perspective and overview of consultant design services performed for the Port by outside services
• BS degree in electrical engineering or related engineering field; advanced degree is desirable
• Experience in an engineering capacity OR any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the job duties (required)
• Knowledge of high, medium, and low voltage system design, specifications, construction methods and materials, and on-going maintenance for commercial and industrial facilities
• Ability to obtain a Valid Oregon or Washington driver's license
• EIT (Engineer in Training) (preferred)
• Shows the utmost respect for others and is a proven team player
• Ability to obtain security badging at PDX and/or other Port facilities, which may require a criminal background check
• Recent grads and 2020 Spring graduates are encouraged to apply
• Electrical power distribution systems, generation, control and monitoring systems, airfield electrical systems, lighting designs, and machine drives and controls
• Low voltage systems, such as PLC control systems, fire and life safety systems, security, CCTV, fiber optics, and structured cabling systems
• Power system analysis (utilizing EasyPower is preferred) including power flow studies, short circuit analysis, coordination studies, and arc flash analysis
• National Electrical Code (NEC), National Safety Code (NSC), Uniform Building Code (UBC), International Building Code (IBC), national fire codes, and other construction codes as applicable
• LEED building energy design
• Electrical work plan and switching plan development
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated skills:
• Interactive CAD/Revit design skills
• Geographic information systems (GIS)
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Familiarity with electrical power and control systems
• Personal computer experience using Microsoft and other software applications
• Promote safety as a guiding principle and a regular practice in accomplishing work
• Weigh the short- and long-term implications of alternate engineering solutions when making decisions
• Work with clients and project managers and project engineers in the development of project plans of moderate complexity
• Assist construction staff in identifying issues, develop possible solutions, prepare accurate documentation, and facilitate resolution of issues identified during the construction process.
• Accurately and concisely provide and document technical information to peer engineers, project team members, and engineering management to provide updates
• Ability to demonstrate the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive
• Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
• Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
• Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
• ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that they need an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6000
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
Complete details: Click Here for complete details on this position