Post Date: 08/06/2018
Close Date: 12/31/2018
Library Technician - SE Campus
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09456
Location: Southeast Campus
Address: 2305 SE 82nd and Division, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Other
Position Status: Classified; Salary Level 16, Fulltime, Non-Exempt
Starting Salary Range: The first two steps of the range are: $2,873 to $2,959 per month. Higher salary placement may be available based on qualifications, experience and internal equity.
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received
Portland Community College is accepting applications for a Library Technician position at the Southeast campus. We are looking for an individual who is eager to become part of a team focused on providing excellent customer service in an academic Library setting. This position is instrumental in helping further the goals of the Library and College within an inclusive and student-focused environment that cultivates learning, critical thinking, and personal growth.
Schedule: Mon-Thur: 11:45am to 8:15pm
Fri: 8:45am to 5:15pm
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
- 8 hours of Sick Leave per month
- 24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
- 11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
Assists library users by providing exceptional customer service, facilitating access to library materials and providing directional information.
Maintains user records by updating account and financial information, processing adjustments and waivers as needed.
Resolves material or service problems by clarifying the user's complaint, determining the cause of the problem, selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem, expediting correction or adjustment, and following up to ensure resolution. May assist in difficult service interactions.
Instructs users in the basics of library website navigation. Provides assistance in the use of self-service kiosks, the library's vended printing system, photocopiers and other equipment, including but not limited to: laptops, digital cameras, voice recorders, tablet devices, and staff office equipment such as facsimile technology. Contacts internal or external sources for maintenance as needed.
Assumes responsibility for the operation, safety and security of the libraries during early morning, evening and weekends.
May perform a specialized function at a campus library and/or college-wide, which may involve coordination of consortial resource sharing, materials booking, billings, course reserves management, copyright, equipment, and stacks maintenance. Provides specialized assistance in an area of assignment.
May collaborate with and serve as contact for local and regional library consortia such as the Orbis Cascade Alliance. May also collaborate and work in partnership with individual libraries locally, regionally, and nationally.
Creates and manages reports, using the library's automation system and other software as needed.
Conducts inventories of materials, supplies, and equipment. Orders, receives, and verifies new supplies.
Trains, coaches, and directs the work of student and casual employees in the procedures and practices related to Access Services.
Creates instructional and promotional brochures and signage for public use. May create training and coaching resources for staff use.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements (Note-experience requirements use full-time equivalent):
High school diploma or equivalent.
Two years of experience working with the public, preferably in a library
(Note: a year of experience is calculated at full-time equivalent; part-time experience will be pro-rated)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Library automation systems;
Good time management;
Providing exceptional customer service.
Interact positively with staff to enhance effectiveness and promote quality service;
Maintain effective working relationships with coworkers;
Organize and maintain records;
Be collaborative and an active listener;
Analyze and resolve problems with minimal supervision;
Remain calm in high pressure/difficult situations;
Effectively communicate orally and in writing;
Follow Protocols and escalation procedures;
Work with multiple priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment.
Note to Applicants
- For new employees, official transcripts are required to be submitted within 2 weeks of offer date for all degrees stated in the minimum qualifications.
Please describe how you meet these 6 Preferred Qualifications in you "Responses to the Required Questions document
1. Demonstrated experience working in a library setting and utilizing an integrated library system.
2. Frontline service experience that may include addressing customer complaints or defusing difficult encounters.
3. Experience troubleshooting issues with a variety of library equipment (for example: laptops, tablets, digital cameras, and calculators).
4. Strong record of communicating effectively (electronically and in person) with multiple stakeholders in a shared workspace and customer service setting.
5. Experience training and guiding student employees, volunteers, or casual employees.
6. Experience working with a diverse community or a traditionally underserved population.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Responses to the Required Questions(attach document)* Describe how you meet each of the 6 Preferred Qualifications.
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1270651
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1270651