Post Date: 01/07/2020
Close Date: 02/07/2020
This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: decarbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
This is a limited duration position that may last 6 months to 3 years.
Associate Protection Engineer
In this role, you will have the unique opportunity to join our Protection Engineering team!
This team provides engineering for the design and operation of protective relay equipment which detects abnormal power system conditions and initiates corrective action to return the power system to its normal state. Protection engineering deals with protecting the electrical power system from faults through the isolation of faulted parts from the rest of the electrical network. They also provide engineering for system protection and control schemes. In this role you will provide maintenance/operation support including, but not limited to: developing protection requirements, issuing relay settings, supporting testing and energization and investigating relay operations.
The key responsibilities of this role are to maintain engineering standards, engineering production, project coordination and knowledge sharing with project teams.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET-accredited engineering program or program accredited by an equivalent agency.
• Typically, two or more years in engineering.
• Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam strongly preferred; may be required based upon role.
• This job requires a valid driver’s license and will require occasional driving / travel / commute within the service territory
• There will occasionally be unstable surfaces requiring balance and walking distances and surfaces (long distances and over rough, uneven or rocky surfaces)
• Environment - Indoor/Outdoor: Office, plant and field.
• Intermediate knowledge of engineering and economic principles and concepts.
• Intermediate knowledge of other engineering disciplines and ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
• Intermediate knowledge and application of engineering processes and procedures. Intermediate industry knowledge and technology trends.
• Intermediate knowledge of company QA/QC processes and procedures.
• Working knowledge of procurement and contract administration.
• Working knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimates.
• Intermediate knowledge of electrical utility infrastructure construction and testing practices.
Join us today and power your potential!
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please visit www.portlandgeneral.com/careers and complete the employment application by the posting close date.