Post Date: 06/03/2019
Close Date: 07/18/2019
JOB TYPE: Full time
SALARY: $19.33 - $23.63 Hourly
CLOSING: Open Until Filled
This Work Matters!
In Corrections Health, we provide medically needed health care to inmates of Multnomah County Jails and Juvenile Detention Facility. Come join our team of Portland's most outstanding health care professionals providing exceptional services to our diverse community!
We are seeking to bring dedicated, compassionate and an experienced Certified Medication Aide (Certified Nursing Assistant) in Corrections Health who will be responsible with administering prescription medication to incarcerated patients under supervision of a Community Health Nurse (CHN). The Medication Aide also performs tasks associated with managing on-site medication, data gathering, direct patient care and other duties as directed by the CHN.
This position is from Tuesday to Saturday from 3:30 pm to 12 am (midnight) and is located at Inverness Jail (East Portland).
Eligibility: To be eligible for this position, you must be a Certified Medication Aide (CMA) AND a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) with the Oregon State Board of Nursing upon selection for the position.
The essential functions of a Certified Medication Aide include but is not limited to the following:
- Provides direct patient care.
- Administers prescribed routine medications to inmates and clients as assigned by professional nursing staff.
- Stocks, prepares and administers medications and supplies in the correctional medical areas.
- Verifies, identifies and records all medications being used by patients; coordinates with the security staff for timing of medication interventions and rounds; maintains a sufficient drug inventory to ensure adequate supplies.
- Assists with physical examinations; collects and records physical information such as height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respiration and similar vital signs; collects specimens as required.
- Consults with Registered Nurse or Nursing Supervisor for current medication and physical status of patients; implements treatments or special procedures as directed by an RN or Physician. Treatments may include performing prescribed tests, vision screening, and EKG's.
- Records, reviews and tracks medical records and health data; maintains client confidentiality; documents medical care and follow-up; regularly transmits inmate/patient information to appropriate health care staff and reports to the team routine and unexpected findings from examinations, patient complaints, medical rounds and history taking.
- Help patients understand basic health information to manage their health care needs; provides health information to patients about health maintenance and disease prevention; observes self-care routines.
We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying unless an item or section is labeled required. Please be clear and specific about how your background is relevant. For details about how we typically screen applications, review our overview of the selection process page.
Minimum Qualifications/Transferable Skills:
Education/Training: Graduation from a Certified Nursing Assistant program AND successful completion of a Medication Aide certification program.
Experience: Six months of experience working in healthcare with patients in a nursing supervised position.
- A current, valid Oregon Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) license at the time of appointment; AND
- A valid Oregon Certified Medication Aide (CMA) certificate will be required at the time of appointment; AND
- A current CPR certification; American Health Association and Basic Life Support for healthcare providers.
Other: These positions requires a background investigation, which may include being fingerprinted. Employment is contingent on a passing a background investigation.
Preferred Qualifications/Transferable Skills*: You do not need to have the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills to qualify. However, keep in mind we may consider some or all of the following when identifying the most qualified candidates. Please clearly explain on your application how you meet any of the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills.
- Experience working in Corrections Health.
Working knowledge of basic medication passing rules and protocols for patient safety, infection control and the limits of care governed by Medication Aide certifications.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of clinic patient care.
- Knowledge of principles, and procedures of record keeping and reporting.
- Ability to make observations concerning patients' general health conditions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
*Transferable skills: Your transferable skills are any skills you have gained through education, work experience (including the military) or life experience that are relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills on your application and clearly explain how they apply to this position.
Apply Online: multco.us/jobs
Vi Ton, Recruiter
Complete details: Click Here for complete details on this position