Post Date: 02/20/2019
Close Date: 03/20/2019
Salary Range :
99000.00 To 139370.00 (USD) Annually
A healthy community begins at home. REACH provides quality affordable housing and opportunities for individuals, families, and communities to thrive.
REACH is an equal opportunity employer that strives to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture.
This organization believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the employee nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Manages the Housing Development Department of REACH, working under the direction of the CEO. Active in all phases of development, including selecting developable sites, analyzing potential acquisitions, conceptualizing projects, obtaining appropriate financing and ensuring projects are completed on time and on budget. Other responsibilities include interacting with other departments and outside agencies; establishing and maintaining diverse partnerships; and providing support to the Executive Director. Position supervises Housing Development Department staff.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
• Envision and identify viable affordable housing developments and collaborate with CEO and Board of Directors on decisions to prioritize certain development projects and to invest REACH resources and seek out new resources.
• Management responsibility for the Housing Development Department including supervision of a team of Project Managers who lead implementation of housing development projects and ensure projects are completed on time and on budget.
• Together with CEO and Board of Directors, sets short and long-term goals for the housing development portfolio.
• Assess potential project sites and concepts for financial feasibility and compatibility with REACH’s development strategy; select development opportunities; determine appropriate project size, unit mix, building program and rent levels; prepare budgets.
• Determine feasible funding packages for development projects; explore and negotiate terms with lenders and investors; pursue grants and low interest loans available from public agencies; review complex financial agreements and loan documents.
• Oversee and approve Project Manager work products related to project design and construction; negotiation of and compliance with contracts entered into during the development process; development plans and schedules; disbursement of project funds. Ensure that decisions are made in the best interest of REACH.
• Represent REACH at public hearings related to land use and design; meet with neighborhood groups on project-related issues; respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
• Build collaborative relationships with other REACH Departments and develop practices and processes that are informed by the constraints and needs of other Departments. Serve as a resource person and help educate colleagues across REACH to deepen their understanding of the affordable housing development process.
• Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for Housing Development Department; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
• Select, train, motivate and evaluate assigned personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
• Participate in the development and administration of the annual budget as it relates to housing development; participate in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; implement adjustments.
REACH employees are expected and required to behave in a professional and courteous manner in doing REACH business and dealing with other staff, residents, and all contacts inside and outside the organization. Profanity, derogatory and abusive language is specifically forbidden.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Principles and practices of contract development, negotiation and administration.
• Familiarity and experience with grant writing, housing market studies, development and operating
budgets, and real estate transactions.
• Principles and practices of program development, management and administration.
• Methods, techniques and costs of multi-family housing design and construction.
• Local building, planning and zoning codes.
• Resources available from private and public sources to fund affordable housing development,
including Low Income Housing Tax Credits and bond financing.
• Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
• Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
• Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations governing affordable housing.
• Good working knowledge of relevant computer programs, such as Word and Excel.
• Ability to understand, and to seek explanation of, complex written directions from various
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to work with wide range of entities and people, including government agencies and
• Entrepreneurial attitude and creativity to envision and plan an active housing development
• Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
• Oversee, direct and coordinate the work of assigned staff.
• Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff.
• Participate in the development and administration of goals, objectives and procedures.
• Prepare and administer program budgets.
• Prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
• Assemble complex project financing from a variety of public and private sources.
• Identify and prescribe cost-effective project design, building system and construction contract
specifications that are in the best interest of potential residents and REACH.
• Negotiate and administer large construction contracts.
• Directly responsible for strategic decision including selecting development sites, conceptualizing projects, developing external partnerships, and obtaining financing.
• Incumbent regularly performs duties independently with guidance and direction from CEO.
• Incumbent's decisions and actions consistently and substantially impact the company's revenue, operations, reputation, and/or customer satisfaction.
• Work is verified on the basis of outcomes and results. Contributes to the development of new concepts.
• Errors may result in cost or time overruns, missed opportunities, reduction in available funds, and may produce negative press for organization.
Supervises Housing Project Managers, consultants, and may supervise volunteers and interns.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in real estate development, urban planning, business or related field required.
• Minimum eight years of progressively responsible experience with affordable housing
• Contacts are made on own initiative and at the direction of the Executive Director.
• External contacts occur with government agencies, bankers, and other funders, as well as tenants, prospective homebuyers, neighborhood groups, contractors, and other service organizations.
• Internal contacts occur with all levels and areas of the organization.
• Contacts made may concern confidential or sensitive information requiring the use of discretion, negotiation or persuasion.
• Presentations to external sources and groups are made.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
May require evening and/or weekend hours. Will require ability to visit construction sites. Will require use of own vehicle and must provide proof of valid driver’s license and liability insurance. Regular attendance is required in accordance with a regular schedule established for the position by the supervisor.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and readily and effectively communicate. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Vision abilities required by this job include ability to effectively see within an office environment, which may include long term computer exposure, and to adjust focus accordingly.
The duties of the job are primarily performed in an office environment. There is some exposure to noise in the work environment, which is usually mild to moderate.
Complete details: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=8eac866a-86e5-40d5-83f0-a528b0d6cff4&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US&selectedMenuKey=CurrentOpenings