Post Date: 03/04/2019
Close Date: 03/18/2019
Salary Range: $45,330 - $59,651 annually.
Starting salary is $45,330 - $55,150 (depending upon qualifications).
Full-time, non-exempt position with benefits.
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.
Do you love surprising and delighting customers by delivering outstanding customer experiences while delivering, facilitating and supporting world-class products people rely on every day?
This position will represent the City of Hillsboro's fiber municipal broadband system and services with friendly and accurate in-home, in-business and in-field technical service fulfillment and support, delivering experiences to both residential and commercial customers that surprise, delight and reflect the City's core values and mission.
The Broadband Installation Technician will be responsible for safely serving Hillsboro Broadband customers with the installation, service fulfillment and activation, troubleshooting, repair and maintenance of technical service issues related to fiber-delivered broadband Internet and voice services. The position will serve as a liaison between the city and the customer, and work with other city departments to deliver a high-level customer care and service experience.
Our Ideal Candidate will:
- Project a friendly and knowledgeable representative face/voice to external and internal customers of the city's broadband utility, including both residential and commercial customers.
- Be committed to delivering outstanding customer experiences, expertly handling both residential and business customer interactions related to installations, service activations, technical issues, product performance and reliability, workmanship and more.
- Possess prior experience in the cable/telecommunications/broadband industry, with prior experience with fiber optics and fiber slicing.
- Be a very technically knowledgeable field service specialist on the repair and maintenance of inside wiring, outside wiring, active devices and other electronics, customer premise equipment and the distribution network, with the ability to meet customer needs and address issues related to service fulfillment/installation, troubleshooting, CPE, fiber optics, service repair and more, for both residential and commercial customers.
- Possess an unwavering commitment to safety.
- Be a quick, thorough and detailed learner. Able to master and train others on complex operational processes.
- Be a highly effective collaborator across all functions of the broadband operations.
- Be fluent in both English and Spanish.
General Statement of Duties
The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform basic routine maintenance and/or operational activities in assigned area of responsibility. Duties as assigned may include providing customer service; installing and activating fiber broadband services; performing routine maintenance and repair of equipment, infrastructure, and/or related items; operating motorized vehicles and equipment; inputting data into computerized systems; and preparing logs and records.
Acceptable Experience and Training
High School Diploma or GED and one (1) year of related work experience with a cable or telephone company; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above. Associates degree in Electronics, Computer Science or a related field is preferred.
• Valid Driver’s License and safe driving record;
• Confined space training;
• Certificate in Electronics Repair from a Technical School, preferred;
• Certifications from professional organizations such as the Electronics Technicians Association or Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers are preferred.
Please visit our website Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/Jobs to apply online through our link. For an alternative to our online application system you may download and print an application packet.
Employment applications must be completed online or returned by mail, fax or in person by the closing deadline of the position. Applications received after the filing deadline, by email, or without a cover letter, resume, and supplemental questions will not be considered. Resumes will not substitute for the employment application. Applications may be submitted by fax to meet the application deadline.
City of Hillsboro
150 E Main Street, Second Floor
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
The closing date for this position is 5:00 p.m., Monday, March 18, 2019. Qualified minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. EOE