Post Date: 06/24/2019
Close Date: 07/21/2019
Assistant Superintendent - Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Oregon Department of Education
Salary Range: $8,586 - $12,664
Application Deadline: 07/21/2019
We are seeking a dynamic individual to join our executive team as the Assistant Superintendent of the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (Principal Executive/Manager H). This is a permanent, full-time position in the Salem, Oregon office of the Oregon Department of Education.
As the leader of the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) and as a member of the ODE Executive Leadership Team (E-Team), you will co-lead the development and implementation of proactive equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives within the agency and across Oregon’s 197 school districts. In collaboration with the E-Team, you also help develop a vision and effective strategies grounded in the values of a diverse and inclusive educational environment, and will advise and provide resource information to the Director, Chief of Staff, Deputy Director, and fellow E-Team members on matters of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
You are responsible for the organization, management, and success of the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. You lead, model, and collaborate across the agency on social change centered on equity, diversity, and inclusion within the parameters of education policy (including state legislation) and practice. Outcomes of the work include innovative thinking and application of equity, diversity, and inclusion strategies in both developing new student- and family-centered policy and practice, and amending and reframing existing work to reflect and model ODE's equity stance internally and externally. You lead efforts to drive a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion that is both embedded within the Office of EDI and in support of the systemization of equity at the center of all work across ODE.
As a part of the E-Team, you are a critical part of a larger, agency-wide effort to center equity in preK-12 education policy and practice across the state of Oregon. As such, you regularly provide recommendations to agency leaders, the State Board of Education, the Governor’s Office and may also testify before the Legislature on matters of equity, diversity, and inclusion, working alongside other Assistant Superintendents, Directors, and ODE staff in both the development and modification of current and future policy and practice centered in education equity.
What we are looking for:
• A leader with at least eight years of management experience in a public or private organization which included responsibility for each of the following: a) development of program rules and policies, b) development of long- and short-range goals and plans, c) program evaluation, and d) budget preparation.
• Extensive knowledge of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and application of the equity lens.
• Masters or PhD in education, ethnic studies, administration, leadership, or closely related field or equivalent in experience.
• At least five years of executive-level administrative experience in education, preferably a school district or similar setting.
• Preference may be given to candidates with bilingual skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
• Skill in building strong and collaborative partnerships across diverse groups in support of equity initiatives.
• Skill in supervising, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished, the capabilities of subordinates and available resources; controlling work through periodic reviews and/or evaluations; determining subordinates training needs and arranging for such training; motivating subordinates to work effectively; determining the need for disciplinary action and either recommending or initiative disciplinary action.
• Skill and knowledge of the principles and process of budgeting and financial management as it relates to operational management.
• Skill in planning, organizing and controlling the use of human, equipment and budgetary resources to achieve department, agency, division, or unit goals and objectives.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to work with passionate colleagues and impact the lives of children and families statewide. We offer generous medical, vision, and dental benefits with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. If you have a desire to make a difference in the lives of Oregonians, apply today!
Complete details: https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/Public-Service-Building---ODE/Assistant-Superintendent---Office-of-Equity--Diversity-and-Inclusion_REQ-13503-1