Post Date: 02/15/2019
Close Date: 05/01/2019
Working at Lewis & Clark College
The campus is located on 137 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds in Portland’s southwest hills. Our strong commitment to sustainability is reinforced through recycling programs, energy conservation, alternative transportation options, and farm to fork initiatives. For benefit-eligible positions, we offer a competitive benefits package that includes options for health, dental, vision, tuition, life insurance, retirement and more.
Lewis & Clark College is committed to achieving a diverse workforce. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status or age.
This position provides primary administrative assistance to the Executive Director, helping organize, generate, catalog, and update information and schedules of a fast-paced organization, working with the Executive Director’s files and with NCVLI’s websites, on-line data management systems, and physical files. Coordinates communications between NCVLI’s downtown Portland location and Lewis & Clark College/Law School. This position is a temporary position for approximately 2 months, but may be extended.
What You'll Do
General Administrative/Operational Support
* Assist with all aspects of NCVLI functioning: organizing and generating correspondence, generating letters, assisting in the formatting and production of documents, scheduling travel and conference calls, answering NCVLI main line and victim line, coordinating calendars, making bank deposits, assisting in meeting project deadlines,
* Support general office operations, including ordering supplies within budget, maintaining office inventory, trouble-shooting office needs, scheduling staff meetings and trainings, and aiding with personnel file maintenance.
* Maintain the NCVLI policies and procedures and employee handbook; coordinating new employee and intern/volunteer orientations.
Facilitate Communications/Report Generation
* Provide administrative support for projects through tracking, reporting, and file maintenance, and assisting in meeting project deadlines.
* Draft and/or generate routine communications; coordinate production (formatting, copying, etc.) and dissemination of documents, such as presentations, handouts, grant proposals, conference materials, reports, brochures and displays.
* Respond to inquiries, determine and take appropriate action, as required
* Serve as a resource regarding a defined set of policies and procedures
* Disseminate routine communications such as memos, policies, emails and letters
* Coordinate communications between NCVLI’s downtown Portland location and Lewis & Clark College/Law School.
Training Support/Meeting Coordination
* Assist with marketing, coordination and execution of all in-person and technology assisted trainings.
* Assist with legal matters, including file creation and maintenance, document formatting and tracking, and integration of students into work of the office.
* Arrange meetings and assist with routine conferences, including scheduling rooms, managing equipment, scheduling presenters, maintaining RSVP lists and assembling materials
* Schedule conference calls
* Take minutes for meetings, as requested
* Support all fundraising efforts, including contact database management.
* Participate in developing and implementing marketing of organization, including design, creation, and dissemination of marketing materials.
* Participate in maintaining NCVLI websites; collects, organizes, catalogs and updates web-based and physical NCVLI information and libraries.
* Maintain necessary data through tracking, reporting and file maintenance.
* Create and maintain files and filing system
* Enter essential data into tables, reports or spreadsheets
* High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) plus 2 years of directly related experience
* Able to take full responsibility for own work (and that of others where applicable)
* Proficient understanding of discipline and areas of the job
* Fully acceptable standard achieved routinely
* Basic computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications.
* Administrative support tasks. Strong technology skills
* Experience with website maintenance
* Strong interpersonal and public relations skills. Strong interpersonal skills that can be deployed on telephone, in person and in writing.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced, small office and handle follow through with multiple tasks and independently prioritize tasks
* Strong writing, proofreading, spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills
* Organized, detail-oriented, accurate, efficient and have the ability to work independently and as part of a team
* High standards of ethical conduct and confidentiality
* Strong desire and capability to learn new software and programs, including marketing/publishing software and technology used to facilitate technology-assisted trainings/meetings.
Nice to Haves
* Associate degree (A.S., A.A.) or two-year technical certificate (or 2-3 years of College)
* Experience assisting with communications efforts that tell story of organizational progress
* Experience working in victim services field
* Nonprofit experience
* Experience with legal field, including paralegal or legal assistance experience
* Experience conducting legal intake or working with persons in distress
* Experience working with a diverse audience
* 37.5 hours per week for 8-10 weeks
* If the position is extended, will be at a reduced number of hours per week to be determined
* Benefits Eligible: No
* $18.95 per hour
* The job works primarily at a desk or is otherwise involved in activities requiring little lifting, climbing or working in tiring positions
* Bending, standing, sitting, grasping/gripping, pinching/squeezing, reaching, pushing/pulling, repetitive hand movement (e.g., typing), seeing, talking, hearing
The College explicitly acknowledges and affirms its conviction that diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, national origin, socio-economic background, religious orientation or spirituality, physical or sensory disability, gender, and sexual orientation on the Lewis & Clark campus provides an educational benefit for all students that can be realized only if students and education professionals from diverse backgrounds are present in significant numbers within our learning community. In creating and sustaining such a community, we engage, to the extent possible, in practices that will ensure a high degree of diversity on our campus, simultaneously meeting the highest standards of academic excellence of which we are capable.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Lewis & Clark College will conduct a background check on the finalist, which will include a criminal record check. If a conviction is discovered, a determination will be made whether the conviction is related to the position for which the individual is applying or would present safety or security risks before an employment decision is made. A criminal conviction does not necessarily automatically bar an applicant from employment.
Eligibility to Work
In order to comply with US Homeland Security Department regulations, all employees must complete an I-9 form in Workday prior to or no later than the first day of work and bring originals (no photocopies) of their supporting documentation to Human Resources no later than the 3rd business day of employment. Failure to have a completed I-9 form on file with the College will result in immediate termination of employment.