Post Date: 07/31/2019
Close Date: 08/16/2019
POSITION: Digital Communications Intern
SALARY: $14.52 - $25.06 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: 08/16/19 05:00 PM
To be considered for this intern position you must be a current student enrolled in a Portland-area school for the duration of employment (12 months) and be able to work at our HQ building at the PDX Airport at least 25 hours per week.
The Port's Digital Communications Intern will have an opportunity to learn key areas of Port business through application and website development and content management. The Intern will offer primary support to the Digital Communications team. Gain experience and skills through the main functions of full-stack development of web applications, API's, databases and communications tools as well as revising, testing and uploading website content.
Duration: up to 12 months; full-time during summer and school breaks, part-time during school year.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work on various Port web applications revising and/or developing them with the guidance of a mentor
• Closely involved with a designer assisting with implementation and testing of new features
• Assist with the development and support of full-stack web applications under the direction of a coach
• Contribute to the development and support of web statistics and reporting
• Assist with other communications such as supporting web content updates
• Actively pursuing a degree in Computer Science or related degree program
• Course work or equivalent experience in software/web development preferred
• Interest in full-stack web development strongly preferred
• Student must be well organized, have an understanding and interest in web-based communication as well as other communications tools and strategic communications management
• Excellent communication both written and verbal
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to assume a variety of responsibilities
• Skilled at computer programming, website development and management
• Ability to take direction and work independently
• Excellent oral and written communication
• Ability to ask questions to gain clarify around a problem
• Good attention to detail and follow-up
• Shows the utmost respect for others and is a proven team player
• Ability to manage time well to combine work and school obligations
• Ability to demonstrate the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals and a passion for being inclusive
• Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
• Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
• Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
• ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that he or she needs an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6690
VIEW COMPLETE JOB DESCRIPTION AND APPLY ONLINE:
Complete details: https://portofportland.com/Careers