Post Date: 02/13/2019
Close Date: 03/04/2019
The Oregon Zoo is recruiting for three to four part-time, temporary positions as Zoo Teen Summer staff. These positions present a great opportunity to work at the Oregon Zoo during the summer with youth (primarily teenagers), zoo staff and our program animals.
This position directs the work of youth participating in an education-based volunteer program for high school age students called ZooTeens. This includes designing interpretive materials, learning how to handle animals, and engaging with and providing leadership to diverse employees, volunteers and youth.
As a ZooTeen Summer Staff member, you will work a fairly variable part-time schedule. Some weeks you will be scheduled for as many as 32 hours of work, and others as few as 12 hours. Training takes place in May and June, and the program runs from mid-June to early September.
One to two of the positions will be focused on supervising ZooTeens who are presenting insects to guests in our Insect Zoo. For this role, candidates should have experience working with insects.
At the Oregon Zoo, we hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.
• Minimum 18 years of age.
• 2 years cumulative experience beyond high school in: elementary/middle school education, non-formal environmental education, natural history interpretation, zoology, biology, natural history interpretation or related fields; ¬– AND – 2 years experience working with children in formal or informal education, including child management and program development; – OR – any combination of education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the classification duties and responsibilities
• Ability to mentor teens that are developing teaching skills.
• First Aid/CPR Certification preferred (Zoo offers training opportunities) Food Handler's Card preferred (Zoo offers training opportunities) Inclusion experience with special needs children preferred
• Ability to walk or stand for extensive periods or distances (approximately 3 miles per day)
• Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
All finalists must complete a background check. A driving records check will be conducted for positions that have driving requirements.
• For the Insect Zoo positions: Experience working with insects.
To apply: visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center. Metro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.