Post Date: 05/15/2020
Close Date: 06/04/2020
Professional Engineer 1 – Assistant Structure Services Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Statewide Project Delivery Branch
Construction Section / Structure Services Unit
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are recruiting for agency critical positions at this time using virtual tools and processes such as video and phone interviewing to support social or physical distancing. We are also continuing to evaluate the situation and may extend or place recruitments on hold as appropriate. Current applicants for affected positions will be notified.
Do you have a strong background in structure design, fabrication, construction, maintenance and materials? We are recruiting for an assistant structure services engineer to assist our team in providing excellent engineering support within our agency. Apply today!
The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at a professional engineer 1 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for an associate in engineering 2 ($4,364 - $6,445 monthly) to apply, as we may consider under-filling the position until the selected candidate acquires a professional engineer's license. Under-filling will not exceed six months.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Assist in reviewing statewide structure construction projects for compliance.
- Assist in construction inspection training, instruction, and support to inspectors and other field personnel.
- Recommend improvements in structure designs, specifications, materials and construction practices.
- Assist in providing structural materials technical support to design, construction and maintenance personnel.
- Provide welding engineering support, including code interpretation.
- Write specifications related to materials and current construction practices.
- Assist in solving engineering problems encountered while painting bridges and other structures.
- Assist in developing and administering department technical training and certification programs.
- Schedule classes and obtain facilities, equipment, supplies and necessary personnel to assist in training and examination sessions.
- Serve as a construction inspection program technical resource for agency staff and consultants.
- Assist in reviewing concrete mix designs and providing feedback to the industry.
- Work is performed 50% or more of the time outdoors, including in inclement weather.
- Extensive statewide travel required; must drive a passenger vehicle in cities and on highways statewide daily.
- Overtime may be required depending on contractor schedule and workload, including on weekends and during night hours.
- Must work at construction sites, on high structures and around heavy construction equipment in all weather conditions.
- May be required to walk on rough terrain or uneven slopes, stoop or bend around structures or equipment, or climb up/down ladders or equipment.
What we need:
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Additionally, driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position, including the under-fill option.
What we need for the associate in engineering 2 under-fill option:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
To be eligible for the associate in engineering 2 under-fill option, a candidate must have passed the professional engineer (PE) exam at time of application and the candidate must have their valid professional engineer's license (the ability to stamp) within six months of hire. As the PE exam is offered twice a year, in most cases, this will mean applicants must have already met all PE licensing requirements (e.g. completed required education and training, passed the FE and PE exams, etc.) and submitted their complete PE license application to the PE licensing body.
What we’d like to see:
- Must have a strong background in structure design, fabrication, construction, maintenance and materials.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with team members and lead training activities in formal and informal settings.
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand contract plans, shop drawings and specifications.
Learn more and apply!
- This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on June 4, 2020.
- Visit www.odotjobs.com and search for REQ-40693 to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
- For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer