Post Date: 06/22/2020
Close Date: 06/29/2020
Professional Engineer 2 – Senior Bridge Inspector
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Engineering and Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section / Bridge Operations Unit
Do you have experience performing bridge condition inspections or other inspections? We are recruiting for our senior bridge inspector! In this role, you will serve as the Bridge Engineering Section’s expert in assessing the condition of structures in our inventory and as a technical program consultant to management. Join us in keeping Oregon's roadways and transportation structures safe!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Manage the outsourcing of condition assessment work on state bridges: create the scope of work, lead the consultant selection and negotiation processes and appraise product deliverables.
- Assist region bridge inspectors in assessing the condition of structural bridge members and associated structural details.
- Perform routine and emergency structural bridge condition assessment work as needed.
- Develop and implement quality control/assurance reviews on completed bridge and tunnel inspection work.
- Actively participate in Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) submittals, and developing and implementing FHWA Plans of Corrective Action.
- Maintain inventory and perform inspection of other agency bridges and tunnels.
- Provide or coordinate competency training in the specific area of bridge and tunnel inspection.
- Assist with training for design of new bridge replacements, bridge repairs, structural rehabilitation work and bridge strengthening projects.
- Act as chairperson of the Statewide Tunnel Committee and as a member of the ODOT Bridge Management (BrM) American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Bridge Project Team.
- Manage inventory of temporary bridges (acrow and bailey bridges).
- In the absence of the unit manager, assume the supervisory duties of the unit.
- Work is performed in both office and field environments; working outdoors is required at least 30% of the time.
- Inspection of bridges is regularly performed outdoors, year-round, in all weather conditions, in hazardous locations and in in close proximity to high-speed truck and vehicular traffic.
- Work is performed in, around and with toxic chemicals.
- Considerable travel required with frequent overnight stays away from the office.
What we need:
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
- Experience performing bridge condition inspections or other inspections.
- Experience working at heights greater than 20 feet.
- Experience writing, negotiating and managing contracts and/or intergovernmental agreements.
- Experience creating manuals and/or guidelines.
- Experience providing training to others.
Learn more and apply:
- This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on June 29, 2020.
- Visit www.odotjobs.com and search for REQ-42967 to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
- For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 971-273-8687 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Complete details: Click Here for complete details on this position