Post Date: 02/07/2020
Close Date: 02/28/2020
POSITION: Construction Intern
SALARY: $14.52 - $25.06 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: 02/28/20 05:00 PM
Are you currently attending school and pursuing a career in the engineering construction field? If you want to gain first-hand knowledge in the management of large capital projects in a fast-growing industrial setting, then the Port's Engineering Construction Internship might be right up your alley!
To be considered for this intern position you must be a current student enrolled in a Portland-area school for the duration of employment (12 months). Spring 2020 graduates will not be eligible for this internship unless documentation of continued educational classes (graduate school related to the field) can be provided at the time of application.
Port Interns learn on the job under close supervision, receive feedback from Port staff and complete work products that align with the students learning objectives and contribute to the Port's mission. This Port Intern position will work with a dynamic team of positive engineering and construction professionals engaged with interesting and challenging projects.
Duration: 12 months; full-time during summer and school breaks, part-time during school year.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Inspect materials, installation, and layout of work, and evaluate its acceptability
• Keep as-built drawings current
• Verify quantities for contractors monthly pay estimate
• Keep a daily diary for each job assigned
• Act as liaison between Construction Contracts Manager, Design, Operations, tenants, and outside agencies as directed
• Actively pursuing a degree in Engineering or Construction Management is required. Second or third year student is preferred
• Working knowledge of basic engineering principles, construction methods, survey, and material science is preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skill
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft computer applications; Word, Excel and Outlook
• Valid Oregon or Washington driver's license (required)
• Ability to obtain security badging at PDX and/or other Port facilities, which may require a background check (required)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to meet the demands of a professional work environment
• Regular attendance consistent with agreed schedule
• Effective written and oral communication skills
• Promote safety as a guiding principle and strive for safety improvements
• Listen, ask questions and complete small projects in support of Port staff under close supervision.
• Ability to demonstrate the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals and a passion for being inclusive
• Work collaboratively with all staff at the Port
• Demonstrate professional work behaviors and comply with all applicable Port policies.
Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that they need an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6000
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: https://www.portofportland.com/Careers
Complete details: Click Here for complete details on this position