Post Date: 06/11/2019
Close Date: 07/08/2019
JOB OPPORTUNITY: DEVELOPMENT + DATABASE ASSOCIATE
Western States Center is seeking a dedicated and talented Development + Database Associate to help take our donor recruitment and stewardship practices to the next level. If you consider yourself a data geek with a passion for social justice and a commitment to outstanding donor service, then this may be the career move you’ve been seeking! We’re looking for someone with at least two years of Salesforce experience, knowledge of nonprofit fundraising, and the drive to go all in on helping our small-but- mighty team meet its development goals. The position is open until filled; applications received by May 24 will receive priority consideration.
ABOUT WESTERN STATES CENTER
Based in the Pacific Northwest and Mountain States, Western States Center works nationwide to strengthen inclusive democracy. For over 30 years, we’ve played a catalytic role in working with community partners to build people-centered movements, develop new leaders, and shift culture – all with an eye on the prize of an inclusive democracy where all people can live, love and work free from bigotry and fear.
Today, we are retooling and expanding to meet the urgent challenges facing our country and the growing threat of white nationalism and organized bigotry. Our work is built upon four pillars: Movement Building, Leadership Development, Shifting Culture, and Defending Democracy. In 2019 we will focus on advancing our efforts in each of these areas and increase engagement with the stakeholders that help fuel our success.
In this new role, we’re seeking a dedicated and talented Development + Database Associate to help take our donor recruitment and stewardship practices to the next level. If you consider yourself a data geek with a passion for social justice and a commitment to outstanding donor service, then this may be the career move you’ve been seeking!
Top candidates for this position will bring at least two years of Salesforce experience, knowledge of nonprofit fundraising, and the drive to go all in on helping our small-but-mighty team meet its development goals. We’re doubling down on our Salesforce database that was never quite dialed in to serve us well. But the Development + Database Associate will change all that. This full-time role will ensure the success of our database upgrades and show us all the bells and whistles that we’ve been missing. They will bring vital expertise and a collaborative attitude to instituting the data best practices that will help us expand our donor-centered fundraising programs.
The Development + Database Associate will be supervised by the Director of Development and will be an important member of our development team. We’re looking for someone with exceptional attention to detail, strong project management skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, diverse and mission- driven environment.
Supports Development Efforts
• Ensures timely acknowledgement of donor gifts and data entry
• Enters major donor notes and contact history into database
• Performs donor and funder research
• Maintains grant calendar and filing system
• Assists in the production of grant proposals and reports
• Assists in maintaining online donation portal content
• Assists in writing letters, e-mails and other fundraising communications
• Collaborates with Operations Manager to reconcile database and accounting records
• Manages RSVP lists, nametags and check-in processes for events
• Liaises with external vendors such as printers, designers and mail houses
• Provides technical support for rapid-response campaigns and other activities as needed
• Ensures smooth upgrades to and performance of Salesforce and troubleshoots any problems
• Integrates Salesforce with other tools and platforms
• Helps establish a dashboard for tracking fundraising goals
• Develops processes for capturing and recording data from fundraising and program activities
such as donor events and rapid-response campaigns
• Establishes, promotes and enforces standardized data-entry practices
• Produces segmented lists for fundraising, program and communications activities
• Generates reports to support development, program and operational needs
• Two or more years of Salesforce experience with ability to conduct data imports, queries and exports that produce detailed and accurate reports (comparable CRM experience may be considered for the right candidate)
• Demonstrated experience in a development-focused role
• Excellent attention to detail and time-management skills
• Commitment to ethical fundraising standards and practices
• Proven commitment to social justice values
• Strong project management skills
• Ability to thrive in a collaborative, diverse, multi-racial working environment
• Deep commitment to measurable results
• Proficiency with spreadsheet, word processing, presentation, and e-mail applications
• Strong technical aptitude and desire to keep up to date on the latest trends and tools
• Emotionally intelligent with patience and a sense of humor
Location: Our preference is for the position to be based in Western States Center’s office in Portland, Oregon, however remote work is possible for the exceptional candidate located elsewhere in the Pacific Time Zone.
Salary & Benefits: This is a full-time exempt position. Benefits include employer-paid health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid sick leave, vacation, sabbatical and professional development opportunities. Starting annual salary range is $40,000-$45,000, depending on experience.
To Apply: Please submit the following as a single PDF with your name in the file name to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development + Database Associate:”
1. A cover letter clearly outlining the specific skills and knowledge you bring to the role;
2. A resume detailing relevant work history, technical proficiencies and accomplishments;
3. A submission e-mail that lets us know where you learned about this opportunity.
Deadline: This position is open until filled. Only complete applications will be considered.
Western States Center is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and organizational needs, and not on race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.