Post Date: 12/12/2017
Close Date: 03/31/2018
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09206
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Classified; Level 20; Full-time; Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: $3,446 to $3,519 per month
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
Under the general direction of Grounds Management, installs, maintains and manages the computerized irrigation systems, controllers and backflow devices in a safe manner. Primary accountabilities also include monitoring and operating the college's computerized water management system and performing all the duties of a Groundskeeper position. Job requires well developed verbal and writing skills to present and exchange technical information and specifications with grounds maintenance management, staff, co-workers, sub-contractors, and outside vendors.Performs work as a designated essential personnel. Responsible for producing journey level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
This position is based at the Sylvania Campus, but provides service throughout the college district.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
8 hours of Sick Leave per month
24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
- Operates, maintains and repairs existing irrigation systems to ensure adequate moisture for plantings. Sets and maintains automatic irrigation systems to run systematically according to the landscape care program.
- Designs, installs, tests and maintains new irrigation systems, backflow devices and controllers. May provide functional and technical direction to other grounds staff with regard to irrigation systems design, installation and maintenance.
- Monitors and operates college wide Maxicom System (computerized water management system). Replaces hardware as needed for this system (e.g., wires, valves, etc.)
- Operates special and/or heavy equipment and vehicles to perform the duties of an irrigation specialist and equipment operator. May be required to operate backhoe and/or pay loader.
- Assists in planning and construction of special campus projects on all campuses as assigned.
- Performs duties of a Groundskeeper II position.
- Installs and maintains all irrigation backflow devices district wide. May test district wide backflow devices.
- Works with Grounds Foreperson to plan and complete landscape projects at multiple sites.
- Orders irrigation supplies, spare parts and equipment as authorized and takes deliveries on or off campus. Obtains quotes for services from outside contractors as requested, in compliance with college guidelines.
- Documents and maintains appropriate logs, records and inventory of systems. Such as blue prints using Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) software and geographical information systems (GIS).
- Recommends and assists in prioritization of upgrades and replacement of systems and equipment. Assist in budget preparation related to this work.
- Coordinates the college's efforts under the City BES Sewer Credit Program to ensure that appropriate credits are received.
- Responds to work order request and needs for assistance through various communication methods.
- Performs specialized tasks during adverse weather conditions and college closures. In the event of unscheduled closures due to weather events and/or other circumstances, serves as "essential personnel" for reopening the college.
- Maintains a safe work environment and performs all duties in a safe manner. Observes and adhere to all safety rules required by the college and regulatory agencies. Reports all safety violations to management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
- Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Three years of work experience in design, installation, and operation of computer controlled irrigation systems.
Experience and proficiency in performing landscape maintenance.
Must possess an acceptable driving record and a valid driver's license for operation of a motor vehicle in the State of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record in the State of Oregon.
Certificate for First Aid and CPR within six months of employment.
A valid public pesticide applicator apprentice license and forklift certification within nine months of employment.
Maxicom operator certification within twelve months of employment.
State of Oregon Backflow Assembly Tester Certification within twelve months of employment.
Knowledge of the following: safe use of pesticides; safe use of heavy and specialized equipment; drainage and water management; principles of water conservation and audit; and State, County and City plumbing codes as they relate to irrigation system installations. Computer skills required sufficient to operate the college's computerized water management system. Good oral and written communication skills required to present and exchange technical information and specifications. Must posses an acceptable driving record. Must be able to use a respirator when required.
Work is performed primarily outdoors in all types of extreme weather conditions and involves use of chemicals, pesticides, and other substances. Position involves exposure to ventilation problems, noise extremes and inclement weather. Work pressures and disturbances of workflow and irregularities in work schedule are expected.
Job requires considerable and usually sustained physical effort. Strength and agility for heavy lifting and knowledge of correct body dynamics is necessary for this position. Job requires ability to operate physically demanding equipment. Travel between college locations using college-owned vehicle or personal vehicle may be required.
- Valid Pesticide Applicator or Apprentice License with the State of Oregon, Department of Agriculture. Ornamental &Turf herbicide and Ornamental & Turf Insecticide and Fungicide
- Certificate for First Aid and CPR
- State of Oregon Backflow Assembly Tester Certification
- Maxicom operator's certification
When you apply, please be prepared to attach a document that responds to the following quesitons:
1. Please describe your experience working with Irrigation systems and please comment specifically on the following:
What are the components of an automatic irrigation system?
What are the components of a double check assembly?
What experience do you have working with computerized irrigation systems?
What experience do you have using landscaping equipment?
2. Please describe your experience and knowledge in Integrated Pest Management.
3. Please describe your experience and knowledge of Storm Water facilities operations and maintenance.
Additional Posting Information:
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1133366
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1133366