Post Date: 05/08/2019
Close Date: 05/31/2019
Among the woodlands, wetlands and wildlife of the hills of Southwest Portland lies the unique educational experience that is Oregon Episcopal School. The school occupies a 59 acre campus where 870 students in Pre-K through 12th Grade share an excellent faculty, a college preparatory curriculum, and a strong sense of community. OES welcomes those who wish to engage in a vibrant, culturally diverse learning community.
JOB TITLE: Kindergarten Teacher
Oregon Episcopal School is seeking a skilled, passionate, and culturally competent individual to teach an inquiry-based, project-rich curriculum to kindergarten students in a positive, collaborative, child-centered environment. The teacher will provide classroom instruction following OES standards and methods. In addition to the qualifications detailed below, the successful kindergarten teacher candidate will possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to support the OES mission, vision, and identity (https://www.oes.edu/aboutoes/mission-vision-identity).
This is a full-time, academic year position that starts on August 19 and comes with a competitive salary and benefits package, including 95 percent employer paid group medical, dental, and vision insurance for the employee, 25 percent for dependents, 403(b) retirement plan with generous employer match, abundant professional development opportunities, and one excellent meal daily. Up to 50 percent tuition remission is available for up to two admission eligible children. See the OES Benefits Guide at www.oes.edu/employees for more information.
• Collaborate with colleagues around curriculum, student support and program development
• Design curriculum responsive to children’s prior knowledge, experience and interests.
• Utilize the arts as methods for developing and communicating student thinking.
• Maintain child-centered environment that fosters thinking and community.
• Cultivate an enthusiasm for learning in students.
• Use informal and formal assessments to guide instruction.
• Communicate with families about child progress and early childhood development.
• BA or equivalent in early education or other relevant discipline
• Three years’ classroom teaching experience
• Strong background in social-emotional education, effective early literacy and math practices
• Intercultural competence, ability to teach diverse groups of students effectively; ability to interact appropriately with a diverse array of students, coworkers, family members
• IT skills: general digital literacy, proficiency in MS Office Suite, web applications including Google Suite, Zoom or Skype, etc. as appropriate to job duties
• Ability to pass a background check and drug screen
• MA in teaching or related field
• Four or more years’ early childhood or elementary classroom teaching experience
• Experience teaching in an independent school
• Experience with social constructivist and inquiry-based learning
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to cultivate a sense of community, social responsibility, and service
• Interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate, work effectively on teams, and maintain collegial relations with colleagues
• Communication skills, ability to listen and to communicate clearly verbally and in writing
• Knowledge of educational technology; openness to innovation, willingness to learn, ability to integrate evolving IT into curriculum
• Primarily classroom environment, ability to sit at computer and keyboard for moderate periods
• Mobility sufficient for woods and wetlands explorations
• Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis
• Mobility sufficient to move about the campus and to assure the safety of small children
• Ability see, speak and hear to relay and receive information via telephone, computer and in person; and to provide instruction to students and supervise activities
COMPENSATION: OES Faculty Salary Scale based on degree and years of experience
APPLICATION PROCESS: Visit www.oes.edu to learn more about this unique school, then complete the OES online application and attach a cover letter and resume.
Follow the link below to set up a login and password that will
allow you to save and return to your application:
Oregon Episcopal School does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), disability, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or other legally protected characteristic or status.
Complete details: https://www.oes.edu/careers