Post Date: 06/27/2019
Close Date: 07/31/2019
Job Title: Technical Editor
Job Type: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Marketing Manager
Location: Downtown Portland, one block from the Yamhill District MAX Station
Closing Date: Open until filled
About the Position
As our firm’s technical editor, you will hold an important role in ensuring our deliverables adhere to brand and quality standards. Your knowledge of grammar and usage, attention to detail, ability to juggle multiple projects on competing deadlines, and flexibility are essential for this job.
The technical editor works with our technical staff to ensure that GSI’s written materials meet our standards for communications excellence prior to submittal to clients, potential clients, technical publications, and regulatory agencies. The technical editor reviews, edits, and proofreads project deliverables and marketing materials, including reports, technical memoranda, journal articles, presentations, statements of qualification (SOQs), and proposals. The technical editor may need to jump into a writing role on occasion, and should be comfortable developing marketing materials and technical documents (with support from subject matter experts) as needed. This position requires strong communication skills and the ability to edit long and complex documents for clarity and consistency.
In this role you will
• Provide technical editing of numerous types of technical documents and marketing materials, with an eye for detecting and correcting errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, and syntax, and editing for clarity and consistency.
• Assist technical staff with editing, writing, and formatting documents.
• Provide Microsoft Word troubleshooting and formatting support to the technical staff as needed.
• Be an active member of the marketing/business development team, assisting the marketing manager as needed. This may include:
o Editing and proofreading proposals, SOQs, employee resumes, project descriptions, website content, and other marketing materials, and occasional content development.
o Creating content for marketing materials and presentations.
o Working with employees to ensure their resumes and website bios provide accurate and up-to-date information about their professional experience.
o Supporting the production of proposal materials, and ensuring that all elements (document, CDs or flash drives, requested forms, signatures, etc.) of the deliverable are provided in the order requested.
o Preparing the final package for delivery and coordinating delivery.
o Checking numerous sources daily for requests for proposals (RFPs) and requests for qualifications (RFQs), and sending the results to the practice leads and others for consideration.
o Tracking and updating GSI's registration on municipal and other rosters, and other lists pertaining to business development.
• Develop and edit internal communications as needed.
• Develop occasional news items for GSI’s website.
• Update/manage GSI's style guide, acronyms list, and compound words list.
• Provide writing/editing guidance and support to the staff as needed.
• Ensure that GSI’s published materials adhere to GSI's style, policies, and quality expectations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The right candidate will be
• A highly organized individual
• Detail-oriented and comfortable working on a diverse array of projects
• A skilled communicator
• A collaborative self-starter who thrives in a team setting
• Thorough and efficient with time management
• Able to coordinate deliverables through review, production, and submittal
• Excited by new work challenges and producing quality results
The work performed is in an office environment. This requires the use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and copiers. You may occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of the job, you will frequently be required to sit, talk, and hear. Visual acuity sufficient to view documents and computer screens, with or without correction, is required. Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, climb short distances, balance and stoop, kneel and crouch.
We consider any combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge and skills to successfully do this job to be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills would be:
• Bachelor's degree in a related field (e.g. science, English, business, marketing, journalism)
• Minimum of 5-7 years of experience writing or editing complex technical documents
• Advanced Microsoft Word skills, and proficiency with other Microsoft Office products, including Excel and PowerPoint
• Core computer skills and fluency with electronic communication
• The ability to understand and translate complex technical concepts
• Related experience within a professional services firm (preferred, but not required)
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage; depending on the option you choose, GSI will pay 70 to 87 percent of premiums for both you and your dependents
• Generous and flexible paid time off
• Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
• ROTH or Traditional 401(k) retirement plan options with matching contributions of up to 4% by GSI
• Company-paid life and long-term disability insurance, with the option to buy additional coverage at affordable rates
• Transportation benefit of $75 per month to assist with the cost of commuting into downtown Portland and parking, plus an additional reimbursement of $25 per month for a monthly transit pass
• Cell phone benefit of $70 per month to assist with the cost of using your personal cell phone for business use
• Reimbursement for professional registrations and renewals
• Paid time off for certification and licensing exams
• Paid memberships in professional organizations.
About GSI Water Solutions, Inc. (GSI)
In 2000, our three founders left a large consulting firm to start something different. The premise was simple: to build a firm with the flexibility to put clients first and focus on what we do best.
Today, GSI is an employee-owned water resources and environmental management consulting firm with five offices in Oregon and California. Our team members are passionate, motivated, and collaborative professionals who strive to be leaders in their industry. We hire people who are as dedicated to their clients as we are.
Please Apply Online
Complete details: https://gsiws.hiringthing.com/job/135704/technical-editor