Post Date: 02/07/2020
Close Date: 03/09/2020
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 22nd year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies, and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
The PAVE Employment Navigator will work within New Avenues’ PAVE job training program to support underrepresented youth ages 17-24 in identifying, developing, and following through on career, employment, educational, and personal goals. Often our clients’ first point of contact in PAVE, the Employment Navigator is also responsible for introducing clients to PAVE services, helping clients discern which services could support their goals, and expanding access to said services through New Avenues’ East Connect program. As a part of the PAVE team, the Employment Navigator will help maintain a structured, supportive and safe milieu across multiple locations including the Youth Opportunity Center located in East Portland, area high schools, and our downtown location. They will also collaborate with staff across New Avenues to provide comprehensive wrap-around services that effectively support program youth in working toward their self-defined goals.
The rate of pay for this position is $17.79 - $18.75 an hour depending on experience.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Desire and ability to work with diverse staff and excel in a multi-cultural environment
• Strong skills in communication, collaboration, relationship-building, and facilitation
• Organized, detail-oriented, and adept at computer work
• Creative and resourceful in working alongside youth to realize their self-defined goals
• Must be willing and able to routinely transport youth to activities in the community and travel between Downtown and East County as scheduled. A reliable means of transportation and an acceptable driving record required.
• Bilingual: English/Spanish preferred
Education & Experience:
• Minimum of two years of experience working with at-risk youth required
• Demonstrated experience, ability and commitment to working with sexual minority and culturally diverse staff, participants and community
• Vocational and/or educational training and experience preferred
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, click on the 'Apply for Job' button at the bottom of this screen. Attach your resume, and paste your cover letter, or a message to HR in the space provided. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity with your submission. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, visit our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities to submit your cover letter and resume. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity with your submission. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Complete details: https://newavenues.org/about-us/employment-opportunities