Post Date: 08/09/2019
Close Date: 09/02/2019
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality currently has an opening for a Laboratory Division Administrator (Principal Executive/Manager G). This position will be based out of the DEQ Laboratory in Hillsboro.
The Laboratory and Environmental Assessment Division’s (LEAD) mission is to provide timely, high quality data and information through monitoring, laboratory services, and data analysis. The Division serves the Agency programs and regional offices throughout Oregon and provides the scientific information necessary for the agency to achieve its mission to be an active leader to restore, enhance, and maintain the quality of Oregon’s air, water, and land. To find out about the work we do, feel free to visit our website: https://www.oregon.gov/deq/pages/index.aspx. DEQ has over 700 positions and we have offices throughout the state.
What you will do!
The Laboratory Division Administrator administers the overall operations of the DEQ Laboratory to provide monitoring, laboratory analysis, data management, and data interpretation services to DEQ. You will develop laboratory program policy, recommend priorities, prepare the lab’s biennial budget, perform supervisory functions, address community or professional organizations, and serve as a liaison to representatives of other agencies and the public. The Laboratory Division has about 90 employees. You will also serve as a member of the agency’s Leadership Team.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to join a dynamic team of mission focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, water, and land. We offer medical, dental, and vision health benefits with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. Save for retirement through the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)! Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program: If you are employed by a government or not-for-profit organization, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). Learn more to see whether you qualify at PSLF Program. If you are passionate about Oregon's environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, executive service position.
What are we looking for?
– 6 years of management experience in a public or private organization which included development of program rules and policies, development of long and short range goals and plans, program evaluation, and budget preparation.
– Experience managing in a laboratory environment.
– Management/administration experience in a government agency or organization.
– Experience developing budgets, and budget reporting and management systems for an entity with multiple business or program lines.
– Management experience in a unionized workforce.
– Demonstrated skill in advising executives and other decision-makers; political awareness; excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills and project management skills.
– Ability to be resourceful and pay attention to detail; ability to switch priorities or projects seamlessly.
How to Apply:
– To apply for this position, please follow the “Apply” link above and complete the online application and all supplemental questions.
– Please be sure to attach a resume.
– **Please be sure to check both your e-mail and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.**
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go here: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.aspx. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those once you’ve submitted your application via a pop-up with a veterans’ preference questionnaire.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Maddy Ouye, Human Resources Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 229-5107.
DEQ strives to create inclusive environments that welcome and value the diversity of the people we serve. DEQ fosters fairness, equity, and inclusion to create workplace environments where everyone is treated with respect and dignity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, physical stature, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, political affiliation, and any other factor applicable by state or federal law.