Post Date: 03/20/2019
Close Date: 04/19/2019
This position is responsible to develop and deliver professional development in the area of race equity to a variety of audiences in the 20 component school districts NWRESD serves, as well as NWRESD staff. To accomplish these tasks, the specialist works closely with the Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, NWRESD staff and Administration, and other community partners.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Master’s Degree or equivalent training in curriculum, instruction, education, counseling, social justice, social work, or a related field.
2. Hold or be eligible to obtain an Oregon Teaching or Administrative license through Teachers Standards & Practices Commission (TSPC) preferred, not required
3. Strong knowledge of theory, current research, and emerging promising practices in race equity education as applied to instruction, anti-bias education and culturally sustaining practices.
4. Knowledge of current and emerging promising practices in teaching adults.
5. Three or more years of experience creating and facilitating effective professional development in race equity in meetings and workshop settings.
6. Strong excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills. This includes the ability to express complex ideas with clarity and precision both orally and in writing.
7. Technical skills that include the use of presentation software, word processing, and the ability to learn and use technology to innovate and increase efficiency.
8. Ability to work with minimal supervision, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects; ability to solve problems and make decisions.
9. Hold a valid driver’s license.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Include the following. Performs some or all of the following tasks. Other Duties may be assigned.
1. Develop, coordinate, and deliver race equity professional development services to the 20 school districts in Columbia, Clatsop, Tillamook and Washington Counties. This includes both
specifically prepared curriculum and presentations to meet specific requests of component school districts, other education partners, and internal programs/departments.
2. Develop, coordinate, and deliver race equity professional development to a variety of audiences at NWRESD to include staff at all organizational levels in equity teams, equity seminars,
and NWRESD leadership team.
3. Contribute to and support the development, coordination, and implementation of a comprehensive professional learning model in the area of race equality.
4. Provide support to NWRESD leadership and ESD employees on issues of race equity intersectionality in programs and departments.
5. Participate as a member of the NWRESD Leadership team.
6. Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with staff and customers at all organizational levels.
7. Identify sources for potential grants and work with grant writers to complete.
8. Model and promote ethical standards of democracy, equity, diversity, and excellence in all areas of professional development work.
9. Requires travel throughout the region and flexibility in scheduling off site trainings.
10. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Equal Opportunity Employer
NWRESD recognizes the diversity and worth of all individuals and groups. It is the policy of NWRESD that there will be no discrimination or harassment of individuals or groups based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, age, veterans status, genetic information or disability in any educational programs, activities, or employment.
Reasonable accommodations for the application and interview process will be provided upon request and as required in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Individuals with disabilities may contact the Chief Human Resources Officer at 503-614-1407 for additional information or assistance. Speech/Hearing impaired persons may contact the district for assistance through the Oregon telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.