Post Date: 06/01/2018
Close Date: 12/31/2018
Library Technician - Bilingual
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09417
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Other
Position Status: Classified; Salary Level 16, Fulltime, Non-Exempt
Starting Salary Range: The first two steps of the range are: $2,785 to $2,845 per month. Higher salary placement may be available based on qualifications, experience and internal equity.
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
Portland Community College is accepting applications for a bilingual Library Technician position at the Sylvania campus. We're looking for an individual who is eager to become part of a team focused on providing excellent customer service in a busy learning commons environment. Some of the core duties of this position include, but are not limited to, daily maintenance of library book and media collections, working closely with student work-study employees to accomplish a variety of library-related tasks, and facilitating customer service interactions in any one of the following languages in addition to English: Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, or Vietnamese.
Schedule: 11:15-8:15 M-Th and 8:15-5:15 F
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
- 8 hours of Sick Leave per month
- 24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
- 11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists library users by providing exceptional customer service, facilitating access to library materials and providing directional information.
- Maintains user records by updating account and financial information, processing adjustments and waivers as needed.
- Resolves material or service problems by clarifying the user's complaint, determining the cause of the problem, selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem, expediting correction or adjustment, and following up to ensure resolution. May assist in difficult service interactions.
- Instructs users in the basics of library website navigation. Provides assistance in the use of self-service kiosks, the library's vended printing system, photocopiers and other equipment, including but not limited to: laptops, digital cameras, voice recorders, tablet devices, and staff office equipment such as facsimile technology. Contacts internal or external sources for maintenance as needed.
- Assumes responsibility for the operation, safety and security of the libraries during early morning, evening and weekends.
- May perform a specialized function at a campus library and/or college-wide, which may involve coordination of consortial resource sharing, materials booking, billings, course reserves management, copyright, equipment, and stacks maintenance. Provides specialized assistance in an area of assignment.
- May collaborate with and serve as contact for local and regional library consortia such as the Orbis Cascade Alliance. May also collaborate and work in partnership with individual libraries locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Creates and manages reports, using the library's automation system and other software as needed.
- Conducts inventories of materials, supplies, and equipment. Orders, receives, and verifies new supplies.
- Trains, coaches, and directs the work of student and casual employees in the procedures and practices related to Access Services.
- Creates instructional and promotional brochures and signage for public use. May create training and coaching resources for staff use.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements (Note-experience requirements use full-time equivalent):
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of experience working with the public, preferably in a library.
- Bilingual proficiency in English and any of the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, or Vietnamese.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Library automation systems;
Good time management;
Providing exceptional customer service.
Interact positively with staff to enhance effectiveness and promote quality service;
Maintain effective working relationships with coworkers;
Organize and maintain records;
Be collaborative and an active listener;
Analyze and resolve problems with minimal supervision;
Remain calm in high pressure/difficult situations;
Effectively communicate orally and in writing;
Follow Protocols and escalation procedures;
Work with multiple priorities in a fast-paced a
Note to Applicants
- For new employees, official transcripts are required to be submitted within 2 weeks of offer date for all degrees stated in the minimum qualifications.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
- Experience working successfully in a stacks maintenance capacity including, but not limited to, conducting inventory, shelf reading, and basic collection maintenance.
- Experience providing excellent customer service in a varied work environment
- Strong record of communicating effectively (electronically and in person) with multiple stakeholders in a shared workspace and customer service setting
- Experience working effectively with a diverse team and work environment
- Experience working directly with student help or volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to use bilingual skills for translating in customer service interactions.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Responses to the Required Questions - listed below(attach document)*
2.Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1232074
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1232074