Post Date: 06/26/2019
Close Date: 07/31/2019
TEACHING INTERN / EDUCATION ASSISTANT
The Teaching Intern/Education Assistant is a member of the school’s instructional support staff and is responsible for the supervision and support of students and for maintaining a safe and healthy environment and school experience. EA’s ensure that the culture and activities of the school support the Mission and Core Values of Northwest Academy and its respective divisions. EA’s lead middle school programming and activities as assigned. This is a .75-1.0 FTE position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
● Supervise and direct middle school students during drop-off and lunch periods, including extended Flex, lunch, and activities periods on Fridays;
● Supervise and direct middle school students on special activity days and programs throughout the year, including Arts Week;
● Supervise study hall;
● Monitor and respond to the health and welfare of students, including the dispensing of medication and first aid;
● Support the operational needs of school personnel in the performance of their responsibilities;
● Ensure that the campus facilities present a professional, welcoming appearance;
● Provide tutoring and organizational support to students in small group settings;
● Substitute for middle and high school classes as needed;
● Provide classroom support and teaching assistance as needed;
● Organize lunchtime activities for Middle School Students; and
● Staff the Main Building or Plaza Building front desk, ensuring the safety and security of each facility, surrounding environment, and students/staff; provide phone answering and receptionist services for the school.
● Participate in Professional Development opportunities, both as assigned, and as sought out by the EA.
● Participate in collaborative teaching projects with Middle and High School faculty.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
• Support the work of the Head of School and administrative/leadership team;
• Support the mission, values, program, and goals of Northwest Academy and its respective divisions and programs;
• Help to maintain school policies, regulations, and expectations;
• Maintain professional, collaborative, and collegial relationships;
• Exhibit a growth mindset about best practices and work toward professional goals and development;
• Actively participate in the school culture and community; and
• Provide effective supervision of students to promote a safe and healthy environment and school experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
There may be commitments outside of regular school hours, including evening, weekend, and overnight commitments. Overtime in excess of a forty-hour week may be requested.
Northwest Academy staff recognize that participating in a professional community and contributing to the school’s wellbeing is an important element of their relationship to our school. As a result, staff members are expected to take active roles in the school’s professional and student culture in a variety of ways in addition to their essential responsibilities.
Physical requirements are consistent with light physical duties required of administrative office and supervisory staff generally, including the lifting and transport of materials weighing up to 30 pounds. The school is spread out across five buildings covering multiple blocks in downtown Portland, so staff may have to move between buildings during five-minute passing periods or to attend meetings around campus.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Interested candidates can find instructions for applying for this position on the Careers at Northwest Academy and reply to Careers@nwacademy.org.
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
Legal Disclaimer: Northwest Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to welcoming and celebrating a diverse student and staff population. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the school that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability or other characteristics protected under local, state or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy. We seek each employee’s contribution and assistance in helping us maintain equal employment opportunity.