Post Date: 03/18/2020
Close Date: 04/10/2020
POSITION: Executive Assistant, Office of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration/CFO
DEPARTMENT: Finance and Administration
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration/CFO
SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, Benefited
The Executive Assistant ensures smooth and orderly operation of the Office of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration/CFO (SVPFA/CFO) by providing executive and administrative support to the SVPFA/CFO. Reporting directly to the SVPFS/CFO, the Executive Assistant provides complex and confidential support requiring discretion, initiative and independent judgment in matters of significance. The primary responsibilities include project management; coordinating calendars; arranging meetings; assisting in document and material preparation; developing presentations; processing paperwork; and, providing assistance to students, employees, trustees, and the public. This position requires a high degree of confidentiality and involves interactions with multiple levels of employees, students, trustees, and other contacts outside of the university. The ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment is key.
Office of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration/CFO (SVPFA/CFO):
• Facilitates flow of communication to and from the SVPFA/CFO’s office, receiving internal and external correspondence, prioritizing for review and/or response by the SVPFA/CFO and responding to time-sensitive matters.
• Oversees and maintains the SVPFA/CFO’s calendar including organizing and ensuring notice to stakeholders for meetings and other gatherings involving or on behalf of the SVPFA/CFO.
• Serves as a liaison for the SVPFA/CFO by answering incoming telephone calls, quickly imparting information and responding to requests and inquiries; appropriately routing calls, taking messages, and ensuring that communication to and from the Office of the SVPFA/CFO’s office is positive and effective.
• Researches, prioritizes and follows-up on multiple issues and concerns addressed to the SVPFA/CFO, including those of a sensitive and confidential nature.
• Anticipates issues and researches information needed as background for the SVPFA/CFO’s meetings and decisions.
• Executes special projects assigned by the SVPFA/CFO.
• Develops and maintains a working knowledge of Division of Finance and Administration personnel, departments, functions, etc.
• Establishes and maintains a friendly, hospitable and professional communication with administration, staff, faculty, trustees, students and various other stakeholders of the university on behalf of the SVPFA/CFO.
• Maintains an appropriate, effective, and efficient filing system and storage of documents and materials important to the SVPFA/CFO and the Division of Finance and Administration.
• Coordinates the SVPFA/CFO’s attendance at internal and external events and meetings, including preparing documentation, materials, and verbal remarks.
• Assists with the planning and makes travel arrangements for the SVPFA/CFO.
• Works closely with the SVPFA/CFO direct reports and acts as scribe at various meetings, including staff meetings, and tracks action items and deadlines for the SVPFA/CFO. SVPFA/CFO leadership team/direct reports include the following positions:
o Chief Business Officer (CBO)
o Director of Risk Management
o Executive Director of Clinical Business Operations and Finance
o Executive Director of Emergency Management, Safety, Security, and Campus Operations
o Executive Director of Information Systems and Technology
o Vice President for Innovation and Strategic Initiatives
• Composes correspondence, memos, emails, forms, letters, and other documents; maintain documentation as appropriate
• Prepares agendas and distributes materials for meetings. Records minutes at meetings chaired by the SVPFA/CFO, and other meetings as assigned by the SVPFA/CFO.
• Provides logistical support for meetings via web conference using ZOOM and other web conferencing formats.
• Designs and develops meeting and event materials including flyers, documents, presentations, notebooks, etc.
• Completes and processes travel reimbursement forms; reconciles and reports credit card statements with receipts. Calculates mileage, per diem, lodging, and other expenses for the SVPFA/CFO.
• Coordinates the tracking of expenses for the Office of the SVPFA/CFO including reconciling invoicing and facilitating payments.
• Assist SVPFA to develop and monitor an operational budget for the office of finance and administration.
• Implements and completes specific projects as requested by the SVPFA/CFO. This may include varying levels of ability to initiate, plan, organize, oversee and complete complex tasks and events.
• Work with the Director of Risk Management and SVPFA/CFO regarding the flow, review, and approval of university contracts.
• Coordinates and collaborates with other executive/administrative assistants within the administration in order to ensure smooth operations and a high level of customer service.
• Other duties as assigned by the SVPFA/CFO.
UWS Board of Trustees Audit Committee and Finance Committee:
• Attend UWS Board Finance Committee and UWS Board Audit Committee meetings as requested by the SVPFA/CFO in coordination with the university president.
• Records minutes for the UWS Board Finance Committee and UWS Audit Committee, as needed.
• Work with the SVPFA/CFO, the CBO and others in order to assist the SVPFA/CFO in developing materials for the UWS Board Finance Committee and the UWS Board Audit Committee.
QUALIFICATIONS: (Knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job)
• Ability to work effectively with university administrators, faculty, staff, students, trustees, alumni, and members of the public.
• Computer Expertise: MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.); Adobe; e-mail applications; web conferencing systems (GoToMeeting), ZOOM and web-based applications.
• Demonstrate a friendly, professional demeanor with all who access the Office of the SVPFA/CFO.
• Provide excellent customer service to all internal and external persons contacting the Office of the SVPFA/CFO.
• Demonstrate discretion and confidentiality with all work and work products.
• Ability to be flexible and adapt to changes as they arise.
• Work as a team member.
• Ability to organize, prioritize work and meet multiple deadlines.
• Demonstrate ability to think quickly and act appropriately in emergency situations.
• Integrity in dealing with confidential information and sensitive to situations which require tact and good judgment.
• Occasionally work extra hours as requested and agreed upon with the SVPFA/CFO.
• Willing to learn and take on tasks of increasing responsibility.
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills.
• A general knowledge of finance and administration operations preferred.
REQUIREMENTS: (Education, Training & Experience)
• Bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and related work experience.
• Minimum three (3) years’ experience as an assistant to a senior administrator or equivalent position.
• Previous experience working at an institution of higher education preferred.
APPLICATION, SCREENING AND HIRING PROCESS:
Screening of applicants will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit a cover letter, a resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references.
University of Western States conducts background checks for the finalist or finalists of staff and faculty positions. The type of background check will vary by position type.
University of Western States is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, visit our website at: https://www.uws.edu/about/employment/
Click on the big orange button and follow the prompts.
You may attach your materials as Word or PDF documents.