Post Date: 03/08/2019
Close Date: 03/22/2019
Salary Range: $53,029 – $69,783 annually.
Starting salary is $53,029 - $64,518 (depending upon qualifications).
Full-time regular non-exempt position with benefits.
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.
Are you a creative and collaborative person who loves working with people to create outstanding website content? Can you design effective web graphics?
Do you thrive in an innovative, service-focused team environment?
If so, then the City of Hillsboro has an opportunity for you!
We are searching for a Web Specialist who is passionate about helping to communicate the City’s services, events, programs and projects with residents in our dynamic and diverse community. We are looking for a collaborative person with great web writing skills who will add their enthusiasm and sense of humor to the small but mighty WebWorks team within the Communications and Marketing team in the City Manager’s Office.
Your work will include:
• Utilizing our website content management system (CMS) to update and continually improve communications with the community through the City’s website
• Helping to maintain the quality and standards of the City’s public website
• Assisting department staff and communicators by performing day-to-day web updates
• Sharing expertise on web best practices
• Writing and web content creation including graphics
• Supporting website ADA compliance, including creating ADA compliant documents
• Working with department teams to streamline navigation, and update and simplify content
• Assisting in evolving the website to become more service-centered and user-friendly
• Being part of a high-performing, dedicated and fun team!
In addition, things like photography skills, being bilingual, embracing change, and loving continuous improvement will also set you apart as a strong candidate. We look forward to hearing from you!
Training and Experience:
• Associate Degree or (preferred) Bachelor in Journalism, Communications, or a closely related field; and at least one year experience in communications, journalism, project coordination; graphic design or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Potential candidates for this position should have experience – or an interest in learning – in the following areas:
• Experience using web content management systems (CMS)
• Knowledge of website ADA compliance issues
• Ability to create ADA compliant documents
• Understand how to write effective content for websites
• Strong editing and proof reading skills
• Strong customer service skills
• Knowledge of multimedia and web best practices
• Ability to create web and info. graphics
• Ability to edit and enhance photography using Photoshop
• Assist with the website content editor training program
• Support department web content editors
• Coordinate content editor meetings
• Regularly communicate and coordinate with City staff
• Help maintain our website branding and recommend changes as needed
• Knowledge of digital and online marketing strategies
• Participate in website navigation design and recommend changes as needed
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities
You Have the Ability to:
• Communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing
• Be a member of a dynamic team that enjoys working together
• Perform professional work with minimal supervision
• Think creatively and strive to innovate in how we communicate with the community
• Perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines
• Analyze and troubleshoot issues
• Use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions
• Promote a culture of teamwork and communication by working in collaboration and treating coworkers with respect and dignity, and maintaining an open mind to diverse voices and ideas.
• Facilitate working relationship with department staff and coworkers
• Provide timely and detail oriented customer service
• Apply integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks
• Utilize a computer and relevant software applications
• Learn and adapt to rapidly changing information and technology
General Statement of Duties
The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform technical, administrative and research functions for projects or programs requiring specialized training and knowledge along with the ability to plan, coordinate and assist with the implementation of such projects or programs.
• Valid Driver’s License and safe driving record.
Please visit our website Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/Jobs to apply online through our link. For an alternative to our online application system you may download and print an application packet.
Employment applications must be completed online or returned by mail, fax or in person by the closing deadline of the position. Applications received after the filing deadline, by email, or without a resume and supplemental questions will not be considered. Resumes will not substitute for the employment application. Applications may be submitted by fax to meet the application deadline.
City of Hillsboro
150 E Main Street, Second Floor
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
The closing date for this position is 5:00 p.m., Friday, March 22, 2019. Qualified minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. EOE