Post Date: 06/18/2019
Close Date: 07/14/2019
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East (HFHPME) creates successful homeownership by partnering hardworking families in need with the community to build healthy, affordable homes. Started in 1981, HFHPME is seeking a highly-motivated individual to join its team of committed professionals to help take the organization to new heights.
The Volunteer Program Assistant will support the Volunteer and Business Engagement Coordinator in the growth and success of HFHPME’s Playhouse Experience program, as well as supporting the overall Volunteer Programs department. The Playhouse Experience is a corporate engagement volunteer opportunity that raises funds for affordable homeownership in the Portland area. The position will be responsible for planning for and assisting in facilitation of playhouse construction events, leading groups of volunteers in materials cut-out and prep at a warehouse space, and overseeing the Playhouse Experience warehouse space and inventory.
Volunteer Management and Event Facilitation
• Facilitate excellent Playhouse Experience volunteer experiences by teaching construction techniques in an empowering and accessible manner, while providing a fun atmosphere for volunteers.
• Oversee volunteers during playhouse materials prep events at warehouse space.
• Assist in aspects of build day logistics and in the planning of large-scale build events.
• Serve as day-of lead for most playhouse events.
• Conduct inventory and ensure that supplies and materials are stocked, and warehouse space is kept tidy.
Playhouse Experience Program Support
• Collaborate with supervisor to continually improve and grow the Playhouse Experience program, and develop and implement strategies for stewardship of playhouse volunteers.
• Conduct weekly inventory and order all needed materials and supplies.
• Actively communicate with supervisor regarding program needs.
Volunteer Programs Support
• In-office support of Volunteer Program and Resource team needs as necessary during down time.
Required Skills and Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Minimum 1 year of related experience.
• A familiarity with and comfort level using construction tools, techniques, and safety protocols, or the ability to learn.
• Experience in group facilitation and creating positive and inclusive environments for diverse groups of people.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
• Self-starter with the ability to be productive while working independently.
• Strong proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
• Valid driver license and clean driving record.
• Comfortable driving and maneuvering large trucks.
• CPR certified or ability to become certified within first 2 months.
• Ability to work outside in various weather conditions.
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Experience managing and/or working alongside volunteers.
• AmeriCorps and/or similar service experience.
Work Environment/Physical Demands/Schedule
• This position will spend the majority of time in a warehouse environment.
• This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, climbing and lifting all day. The employee must frequently lift, move and/or load items over 50 pounds (with a team lift).
• Scheduled part-time hours are Thursdays and Fridays and one other week day with flexible 4 hours (dependent on the person).
• Requires good driving skills and comfortable driving and maneuvering large trucks. Must have valid driver license and clean driving record.
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
ONLY CANDIDATES WHO FOLLOW THE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS JOB ADVERTISEMENT ON HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB WILL BE CONSIDERED
Application packets must include:
• A complete resume, including dates of employment
• A cover letter identifying how you heard of this opportunity and addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position
• Three references: at least two professional
To apply, submit the above information to email@example.com with ‘Volunteer Program Assistant’ in the subject line. Position is open until July 14, 2019.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Complete details: https://habitatportlandmetro.org/about-us/careers/